My preventative maintenance project is over and was a resounding success. My story... I've had 2 lifetime TivoHD (TCD652160) units since 2007, both fully ummmm "altered". In other words they've got a lot of value - sentimental and a fair amount of dollar value (especially for 10 year old units). They've never had a problem, and I intend to keep it that way. I last upgraded the drives ~6 years ago, so they were overdue for replacing. 2-3 weeks ago I accepted the upgrade to 11.0n.K1 and reapplied my alterations. I was browsing craigslist and bought 2 more TivoHD units (no subscriptions) for parts - $10 per unit, and the seller threw in a wireless Tivo adapter and a Series 2 Tivo. $20 well spent. I knew I could cannibalize the units and keep my workhorses alive. Tested both units Saturday and - Unit A works perfectly. No issues. - Unit B powers up to the first screen "powering up" or whatever it says. After the 1st logo screen the screen goes blank and it never gets to the "Just a few more minutes" screen. I guess the power supply needs new capacitors even though they weren't bulging / leaking. - Series 2 is still waiting for some attention. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. That got me motivated to learn how to solder . Believe it or not my old tivos are still rocking their original power supplies with no bulging caps, so I never had to operate on them. Yesterday my order arrived with my replacement caps (for all 4 units), and soldering iron. I ham handed my way through replacing the caps on the "bad" power supply from Unit B and put it back in the tivo. Unfortunately the unit still doesn't get past the first screen and goes blank. I figure my carpet bombing soldering fried the power supply. So I swap power supplies with unit A & B and it turns out that the Tivo power supply is VERY forgiving to newbie solder-ers. The repaired PS works just fine in unit A. I also swapped drives and both of them are good. Now I figure Unit B has something wrong with the motherboard. Which is fine since the motherboard isn't a part that can be swapped into my working units anyway. Next step was to give both units a new set of lungs before the old 1.5TB drives die. Last night / this morning I successfully copied both drives with WinMFS and replaced them with new 2TB substitutes. The 1.5TB drives will be retired to the cellar in case of emergency. And I've got 1.75 backup units I can utilize for parts. Special thanks to ThAbtO, HerronScott, and Unitron (and everyone else here) for all of your help / excellent posts.