1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreaming of Comast on demand zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mikengrove, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1 of 27
    mikengrove

mikengrove New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Now that Stream has been released, it will be tivos new favorite thing. I have no hope of ever getting Comcast on demand in the Miami area. Going by past promises that we will soon be getting something new, there have been numerous broken promises and the wonderful feature or upgrade. Etc. fades into the past.
    PLEASE TiVo, finish the Comcast on demand rollout to all your customers, and stop telling us it's in comcasts hands...May I suggest someone at TiVo call the neccessary people that know the answer at Comcast and send the answer to all tivos via new messages feature on TiVo box.

2. Sep 7, 2012 #2 of 27
    BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Uhm, but it is in comcasts hands. It's up to comcast not TiVo.

3. Sep 7, 2012 #3 of 27
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Agreed.

But, in addition, Comcast did not make a promise to release this functionality nationwide, but only to "many of its largest markets."

I'm not sure what number of "large" markets is "many", but we are all at risk of being outside of that broad description...

4. Sep 7, 2012 #4 of 27
    compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    +1

5. Sep 7, 2012 #5 of 27
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    at least Comcast offers it. Cox has announced it, but has not offered any more info, or launched it.

6. Sep 7, 2012 #6 of 27
    csgraber

csgraber New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    So Comcast on Demand showed up on my Denver area Tivo last week. I find it interesting. . .but the interface sucks.

Its all folders upon folders upon folders of content. Unlike something like Netflix (beautiful) or HBO GO on my xbox. I mean Xfinity on demand on xbox is awesome, xfinity on Tivo - Crap. HBO GO on Xbox blows away Xfinity options from HBO in a heartbeat.

It is nice if you miss a show. Plus there are shows to catch up with (oh BBC Copper, maybe).

7. Sep 7, 2012 #7 of 27
    jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    At least you have access to it. I'm in the Denver area too and, so far, no one at Comcast can figure out why it isn't working.

8. Sep 7, 2012 #8 of 27
    mike cip

mike cip New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I live in Comcast country! At least that's what they tell us here in the Philadelphia area. No on demand either and we are a large market.. We should get stuff first as we have to look at the ugly office tower they put up in center city. Otherwise I do like my Comcast services with no complaints.

9. Sep 7, 2012 #9 of 27
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I was very surprised by the lousy interface. It's nearly impossible to find anything in all those folders. Comcast blows.

10. seattlewendell

seattlewendell New Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Folders? What about universal search?

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You can use the Tivo search function. The Comcast search function within the app doesn't seem to work for me. It's just a blank screen. I can't believe how overwhelming the folders within the app are. There are thousands of them and they are not organized very well.

12. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I bought an XBox 360. I now have Comcast On Demand. Simple. Even if the TiVo version were available here already, I'd have to replace my Series 3's with the Premiere models, probably an XL4, at least, and would need to buy lifetime for it, then deal with the CableCARD move-over hassle. And still have a half-finished HD interface.

So I kinda look at the XBox as both a more cost-effective solution, and one that provides more value, anyway. And it even lets me play with the idea of using Windows Media Center for TV.

13. pcw132

pcw132 New Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Received an update a few weeks ago that gives me Comcast on demand on the tivo.. I love it! Its the one and only thing that i missed when replaced my comcast motorola dvr box with the tivo premiere. The only thing that would make me even happier would be a clock somewhere on the unit.

14. MsKTFantastico

MsKTFantastico New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I wish I would get this. Comcast has been so slow with this rollout. Especially if it isn't even designed well.

For those that have used it, once you connect to a show is playback ok? I've tried Netflix and Hulu on the premiere and it is horrible! Hulu plus rarely ever even connects, and Netflix stalls alot. I was not that concerned because I also have a Playstation 3 and an Apple TV so I have plenty of ways to connect to Netflix and Hulu, but limited access to Xfinity content, would be awesome to be able to use this before the year is out!

15. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Xfinity OnDemand for the TiVo Premiere is delivered over QAM, just like is done for their own Motorola or Cisco/SA equipment, so there won;'t be any quality issues like you may encounter for IP-delivered video when the IP route can't support the necessary bandwidth.

16. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    I'm in Aurora and it just showed up after Labor Day and has been working (for the most part). Is the application showing up, but you can't connect or is the application just not showing up?

17. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Yeah, in theory there shouldn't be any issues, but there are. During peak-usage times I'm getting macro-blocking and audio drops. I've also received the following error a number of times:

"Service Error
    We're sorry. We cannot process your order at this time. Plese try again. If problem persists please call 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489). Reference (CL-14) when calling. The locale code is (tivocardio-ch2-a2p.comcast.com)"

If I exit and re-enter it will then let me in. Calling Comcast with the above info just results in them asking you to try it again. If you push further they want you to reboot and try it again.

18. johnh123

johnh123 New Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Over there
    This is standard stuff- it happens with my comcast dvr when trying to use ondemand sometimes.

More importantly, when is it coming to Chicago?

19. rhettf

rhettf R3T1CAL

Apr 5, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    In the bay area they have rolled out a HD interface for OnDemand, I definitely get the sense we are the beta market since its been updated once a week. I am sure once they finalize the UI it will go out to everyone.

Its loads better than the SD one and its actually very responsive!

20. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Heck, we don't know IF it is, much less WHEN it is.