1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr. Who....kids like?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jstkiddn, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    My daughter is almost 11 yrs. old. Fifth grade. She's a more serious minded type child. Pretty mature for her age and totally NOT a Miley or Justin Beiber fan. :D She's not the hugest science fiction/fantasy buff, but she loved the LOTR trilogy and Star Wars, etc.

Think she might like Dr. Who? Anyone watch it with their kids? I haven't watched Dr. Who since I was a teenager in the 80's with the curly haired Dr. Who that wore a striped scarf.

I've never watched the current version. I thought if it was age appropriate, I might try watching it with her on Netflix streaming.

Just didn't want to be surprised with language or nudity. I certainly don't remember either being in the Dr. Who I used to watch, but times they are a changin'. ;)

Thanks!

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    My friends son is a lot younger than that and he is obsessed with Doctor Who. I'm waiting for my daughter to grow up so we can watch it together! :)

3. Roommate

Roommate New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    No language or nudity, but it can get pretty intense/scary at times. I don't think it's anything an 11 year old (especially a mature one) couldn't handle.

4. Tyrannosullyrex

Tyrannosullyrex New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Blink creeped me right the **** out. I still look at statues funny.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The original version of Doctor Who was conceived as a children's show, though at some point they diverged a bit from that -- I remember, I think in the Tom Baker era, the typical viewer being described as "an intelligent 15-year-old". The original show remained virtually sexless throughout its run, which they've definitely got away from a bit in the new show. But, I'm pretty sure it's still "clean".

There have been two spin-offs of the new show targetted at different age groups: "Torchwood" for adults (as in, Adult, almost), and "The Sarah Jane Adventures", meant as a pure kids' show (again).

6. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Thanks everyone! I told her a little about it today and she was intrigued.

With Survivor, Modern Family and Off The Map on tonight, mom has the TV/TiVo tied up tonight, but we're going to start watching Doctor Who sometime this week. :) I already have the first four season loaded up in the Netflix Instant Queue.

Watched about 60 seconds or so of the first episode and was thrilled to see that they basically still have the same theme music as in the 80's! I'm such a dork!

7. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    My sons started watching the 2005 version with me, they were about 9 and 10 at the time and they love it. We still watch all the new stuff.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    My 9 year old daughter wouldn't last 5 seconds with Dr. Who...

It's all about iCarly etc.

:)

9. Cragmyre

Cragmyre Member

Mar 8, 2004
    My 9 year old daughter watches with me. I usually get the discs, so it turns out that she can see what the creature of the episode will be. Usually she'll be wary until she finally sees it on screen and then will be fine. The exception was the Angels. Those were the only episodes she did not watch with me. She loved David Tennant, but likes Matt Smith - she especially likes Amy.

10. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, I think that SJA is the "Kids" show that Dr Who was originally intended to be, and Torchwood is the "Adult" show that the creators wished it could have been.

11. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I think 10 or 11 is where I would okay with my kids watching Doctor Who.

12. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Well, we watched the first two episodes of Season 1 last night and she liked it!! I was wondering if she was going to get freaked out, but I think she saw the humor in most of it.

We'll proceed with caution. Up until now, she is THE most unafraid child I've ever seen. Has never been afraid of monsters in closet or boogeyman under the bed....ever. We live on the back of 80 acres literally in the middle of the woods and she will turn on a few outside lights and run around outside by herself WAY after dark not scared of a thing. Hoping this won't change that.

Only issue so far is that she was running around before bed last night yelling "Moisturize me!!" ::rolls eyes:: :Þ

13. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Archeologist

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Pay attention. The new Doctor Who is very good at a continuing season-long thread and they leave clues in almost every episode.

14. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Yes-every season has a different "arc" that it ends with-but clues are sprinkled throughout the earlier episodes.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, there is tons of old Doctor Who on DVD too (maybe some streaming nowadays).

16. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Some of the first season (new) Doctor Who (the ones with Eccleston) might be a bit creepy for a kid that age, depending on the kid's tolerance. They definitely seem quite a bit darker than the episodes with Tennant. You could just start her off with the Tennant episodes if you explain the concept behind the show verbally. My kids started there, and now that we've finished those up, we've gone back through the less-creepy Eccleston episodes while we wait for Netflix to send us dvds with Matt Smith.

17. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    My 11 and 8 year old daughters have both been Dr. Who fans for 2-3 years. And by "fans" I mean, I'll come downstairs on a Saturday morning and they'll already have the TV on and be in the middle of an episode they've seen a dozen times.

18. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    My daughter sounds a lot like yours. I just did a rewatch of all of the episodes of the new series (from Eccleston onward), as my wife was watching for the first time. (She's now a fan, and we've moved on to Torchwood). Along the way, we discussed whether we thought our daughter would enjoy the show or whether it would be too scary for her. On the whole, we decided it would be fine. There are definitely a few episodes along the way, though, are a bit on the too-scary side. From memory, I'd say:

The Unquiet Dead
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (two parter)
    Blink
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (two parter)
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (two parter)
    Midnight
    Waters of Mars

Mind you, while I consider the above to be among the scariest, I also consider many of the above to be among the best. Part of what makes them good is their intensity.

On the whole, I'd say the Harry Potter movies are a good touchstone. If your daughter has seen them and wasn't frightened of Voldemort or the Dementors, I doubt she'd be frightened of anything Doctor Who has to offer.

19. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    I'd put Blink at the top of that list. That was definitely a step above the norm for DW spookiness.

20. mercurial

mercurial Retro-Av

Oct 17, 2002
    Caraleigh, NC
    There are some spooky/scary stuff but a think a mature 10-11yo can handle it. I might steer clear of the spin-off Torchwood. It kicks the sexual innuendo and tension up a lot from mainstream Doctor Who. Also, see if you can find The Sarah Jane Adventures. It's the continuing adventures of the Tom Baker Doctor's (curly hair and scarf guy) companion Sarah Jane Smith. It is aimed specifically at kids (and is bit closer to the old-style campiness of 70's/80's Doctor Who).