1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading show to iPad

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bdspilot, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1 of 17
    bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Ok, this seems very awkward. When I download shows from the Roamio to the iPad, I have to leave the app open( I can live with this) but I also have to keep interacting with the app so the iPad doesn't go to sleep. If it does, the down load stops. So basically I have to set and watch the show down load to the iPad. Not very convenient. Is there a better way? How do I keep the iPad from sleeping during downloads?

2. Sep 6, 2013 #2 of 17
    bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Have you tried plugging the iPad into a power source while it's downloading the show?

3. Sep 6, 2013 #3 of 17
    bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    No, does that work?

4. Sep 6, 2013 #4 of 17
    bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I haven't tried it with a long download, but it did work when I tried getting the Daily Show last night (~500 mb for the 30m recording). It's worth a try!

5. Sep 6, 2013 #5 of 17
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I swear the app keeps the iPad awake while it's downloading.. at least I sure thought it did..

6. Sep 7, 2013 #6 of 17
    PLazovich

PLazovich New Member

May 3, 2006
    Go to sheeting on iPad genera,l auto lock, set to " NEVER". Then it won't go to sleep on you.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #7 of 17
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It shouldn't fall asleep. The app should keep the iPad awake while it's downloading. It's been a while since I used the download function, but that's how it worked when I used it back in April before I went to a trade show. Perhaps this was a bug that got fixed in today's update?

8. Oct 2, 2013 #8 of 17
    drugrep

drugrep New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Woodridge, IL
    I think what's happening because I thought I had that problem too: When I download shows, it disconnects all the time and when the disconnect happens then the iPad goes to sleep.

I am having a very frustrating time with the iPad app. I go to download a show and every 2 or 3 minutes, I lose connection and have to restart it. It took me over an hour to download Sons of Anarchy last night to my iPad with all the disconnects.

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 17
    aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    The app does NOT keep open during downloads. However you can go into settings and make your iPad never sleep just remember to turn it back to what you want when done

10. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    That isn't true at all, although you may be experiencing a problem specically with IOS7. The TiVo app is supposed to keep the iPad up and alive.

In the past I used this a lot and it worked as designed, I will test it tonight to see if I have a different experience with IOS7.

Since I have both 4th gen (IOS7) and 1st gen (IOS6) ipads, I can compare prior to and after the IOS7 update. And if it is a problem, we need to file an issue report with TiVo.

11. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Ok, I tested this afternoon and it works as it always has. When you are in the TiVo app, it never goes into sleep mode.

From using the remote to downloading a show.

If I were to guess?

You have a jail broken iPad. Am I correct?

12. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    All right sparkey let's come down for a moment. The OP said here is the issue he is having and I have also had this same issue so I let them know that I too have had this and what I have done to resolve it. Granted I haven't downloaded anything since IOS7. But this is exact ally the same behavior I had just 3 weeks ago

13. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    Nope a series 2 non jb

14. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I have never had the device go to sleep with the TiVo app open.

Tested on a Gen 1, Gen 4, iPad mini, iPod, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S - just had them all lined up and running for over 5 minutes.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It could be what drugrep mentioned. It could be that the Stream is dropping the connection causing the download to stop which then allows the app to fall asleep. Rather then the app falling asleep causing the download to fail.

If that is the case then check your network for "green" switches. Apparently there can be an issue with maintain streams, both TiVo to Mini and TiVo to iPad, when there is a "green" switch in the mix. TiVo has specifically said they are looking into a fix.

16. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I'm having a problem downloading shows to my iPad. The download starts out OK, and gives an approximate time of 16 minutes, but then it gradually slows down, so I have 700 MB left and an estimated time of 5 hours. Any advice?

17. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Darn, wrong forum.