1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download doesn't continue when app is running in the background.

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by BlackBetty, Sep 16, 2012.

1. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    If I start a download and then hit my iPads home button and play in another app, the TiVo download stops. Also it looks like if I turn the iPad off the download doesn't continue.

This doesn't seem right. I would think that downloads should continue in the background.

Is this how it is working for everyone else?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This is an iOS thing ... apps can only run in the background for a specific amount of time (20 minutes?) before they are shut down. So you have to leave the TiVo app front-and-center for the download to complete.

3. rileyrd

rileyrd New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    raleigh, nc
    I believe it 9 minutes and yes background tasks are limited in iOS, only certain tasks like audio playback are allowed to run unlimited in the background.

4. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    It stops downloading immediately if I do any of the following:

- hit home button
    - turn iPad off (doesn't matter if app is front and center or not)
    - app is front and center and iPad times out

So the only way the download continues is if I leave the TiVo app front and center and I touch the screen every few minutes so that the iPad doesn't shutdown. This can't be right!!??

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    During download the iPad will stay awake with focus on the TiVo app... It has actually stayed live and on top since the first release.

But yes - plug it in, start your download and walk away...

Android and Windows 8 shouldn't have the same limitation.

6. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Blame apple. They think people are too dumb to multitask

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If it does fall asleep while the app is open you could always start playing a video. It wont sleep if a video is playing, even if it's paused.

Dan

8. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Apple allows background downloads to run for 10 minutes.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Which is why their very own podcast app is completely useless. Before I got my Stream I was watching Tech News Today on my iPad in bed. When it podcast app was released I downloaded it immediately and set it up to "automatically" download the newest episode every day. However it never worked. Unless I manually launched the app every day it wouldn't get the newest episode. So I finally gave up on it and went back to downloading it manually. :thumbsdown:

Dan

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I thought the iPad was supposed to be the best tablet out there?

11. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    I quite using the Podcast app because it stinks and doesn't sync correctly.

As far as background downloading goes Apple can do whatever they want. If they want their app to download in the background for 10 minutes or 2 hours they can do it. They have access to the full system where normal developers don't.

12. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I highly recommend Downcast ($1.99). It was recently updated to support geofences to kick off background downloads when you enter/leave geofences. I have mine set to download whenever I arrive home, but you can set up to 10 geofences I think.

Even without that functionality, Downcast is a terrific Podcast app. The developer adds new functionality often.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You don't know what the hell you're talking about.

This is not any 'intelligence' thing, well.. if it is, it is that of app writers. It is to SAVE YOUR BATTERY. It is so that the user does NOT have to do application management, so that badly behaved apps should not be able to run down your battery by continuing to run in the background (and leaking, etc.). Yes, there are still badly behaved apps, but that's presumably the reason for the time limit too.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Weird.. I listen to podcasts a lot, and thus am running it many times a day¬Ö So it is downloading new podcasts for me. (Yes, I know about bugs, but I have written them up.)

15. roxydmb

roxydmb New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    This doesn't happen for me (my iPad screen doesn't stay active while the show is downloading). The iPad locks after a few minutes, the screen turns off, and then the downloading stops (not always, but most of the time). Very frustrating!

Also, when this happens it also often disconnects from my TiVo and I have to hit the reconnect button.

Are there any settings to help keep iPad "awake" during this (other than setting the screen to never lock?)

Does it have to be plugged in for the screen to stay active during downloads? (Is this why?)

16. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Anyone tried with Backgrounder on a JB device? Will it continue to download in background?

17. PhantomSoul

PhantomSoul New Member

Jun 16, 2013
    iOS does not allow the iPad to continue any kind of downloading in the background when it is locked. This is primarily out of concern for battery life, whose maximization is a feature that Apple covets.

Supposedly, the upcoming iOS 7 will provide better options for managing background downloading tasks, but so far, I've only seen it on my iPhone 5 and not iPad. Alternatively, there are probably plenty of jailbreak options, but they also come at the cost of having to jailbreak your iPad.

The best advice I've found for downloading shows to an iPad is to plug your iPad in so the battery isn't drained while it downloads - the downloads can take a while since they're rather large files. Also, leave the TiVo app on the screen and just put down the iPad and go do something else for a while. Be sure to leave any covers that might automatically lock/unlock the iPad (like Apple's house cover) open so it doesn't cause the iPad's sensors to lock the iPad thinking it's closed.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The iPad will GO TO SLEEP when it's done downloading.. if you have a sleep time set, that is..

19. kenkuenzel

kenkuenzel New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Lots of old data here. You can download in the backgound on iOS 7 and above until you are finished. Why hasn't Tivo fixed this yet. I really don't want to sit around and look at the TiVo screen all day

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Apple did open the policy up a little (very little), but the type of download TiVo is doing is still prohibited by Apple and most likely always will be.