1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Donald Glover (Community) to star in pilot

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Sep 12, 2012.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
  2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Maybe they'll just kill off Troy. :)

3. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I thought that they had confirmed the 4th season of Community would be the last? Seems to make sense--let them graduate and let the show end.

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    No, that's not confirmed or even hinted at by NBC. Suspected by most, sure, but no comments to that effect from NBC.

5. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Is Chevy back? I would imagine they want him off the show ASAP.

ETA: Nevermind, just read that he is returning.

6. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    You're confusing Community with 30 Rock and The Office, both of which have announced in advance that the upcoming season will be their last. There has been no word on Community other than it has been renewed for this season.

Now, since it's perpetually on the edge of being cancelled/not coming back, it's a reasonable assumption. :(

The above-linked article states that Glover's deal places his pilot in 2nd position to his Community role, so as long as Community is on the air, he can only do the pilot show with the approval of Sony (who produces Community) and NBC.

7. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    If Alison Brie can handle "Mad Men" and "Community", and Joel McHale can handle "Community" and "The Soup", why wouldn't Donald Glover be expected to be able to handle more than one project at a time?

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Doing a network show and a cable show is very different than doing two network shows. Has anyone ever done two sitcoms full time on the same network? I can't think of anyone.

9. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Lisa Kudrow played Ursula the waitress in "Mad About You" and then played both Phoebe and Ursula on "Friends" on the same network.

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    But Ursula was a *very* minor part on MAY, and she would only appear in a handful of episodes each season. Obviously Phoebe was a lead, but there's no way that she could play a lead on 2 different shows.

Same with Alison Brie - Trudy only appears in a handful of Mad Men eps, but Annie is one the leads on Community. She couldn't do both if her Mad Men responsibilities were greater.

11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Not sitcoms, but wasn't Heather Locklear on T.J. Hooker and Dynasty at the same time?