1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your Mini keep rebooting? If so, try using an HDMI switch ...

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by gweempose, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1 of 17
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I recently bought 2 Minis. One of them worked fine right off the bat, but the other one kept rebooting, or would boot to a blank screen. At first I thought there was something wrong with the unit, but when I hooked the other Mini up to the same TV, it exhibited the same behavior. This led me to the conclusion that there was some type of incompatibility between the Mini and my older Pioneer Elite plasma. I assumed it was an HDCP issue, so I stuck a Monoprice HDMI switch that I had lying around in between the Mini and the TV. Voila! Problem solved!

The weird thing is that I had an old S3 hooked up to the same TV via HDMI for years and never had a problem. I don't get it, but at least I found a solution that appears to work. Just thought I'd pass along the info in case others are experiencing the same problem. :)

2. mlvnsmly

mlvnsmly New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Which splitter are you using? Is it powered or nonpowered? Thanks in advance.

3. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Hmm, interesting. I just got a mini for a roommate, and the mini frequently reboots for no apparently reason.

To troubleshoot it, I swapped his mini with the mini from another room (that's never had a problem rebooting). Now in his room, the mini from the other room is now frequently rebooting, and the rebooting mini from his room isn't rebooting, now that it's moved out of his room.

Wonder if its his TV?

4. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I'm using a powered 4-port Monoprice switch that I bought 4-5 years ago ...

[​IMG]

5. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This sounds like exactly what was happening to me. It's almost certainly a handshake issue between the Mini and your roommate's TV. Try the HDMI switch kluge and let us know if it works.

6. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Using a cheap ($10) 3X1 HDMI switch solved my Mini reboot/blank screen issues with an 8 year old Sony TV. Thank for the tip OP! :up:

7. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Looks like the Fall Update coming out in a few weeks might address this issue:

8. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    New update has fixed this problem on my Sony Bravia

9. pillpusher84

pillpusher84 New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Still having the "boot" issue with my older Samsung 19" 720p LCD TV and the Mini as of the most recent software update.

10. pillpusher84

pillpusher84 New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Still having the "boot" issue with my older Samsung 19" 720p LCD TV and the Mini as of the most recent software update.

11. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Same here (with Sony Bravia TV). Have been using the $9 Amazon HDMI switch with good results.

12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Can you link to the HDMI switch you're using from Amazon? I've tried using my old monoprice 2x1 mechanical switch and it didn't solve the Mini reboot problem for me. Thanks.

13. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
  14. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    One of my Minis always has this issue. On the first boot it goes to a blank screen. I need to reboot it a second time and it is fine. This has nothing to do with a switch though. It has been connected directly to a TV, to an HDMI splitter, and to an HDMI switch. The results are the same. While my other Mini, when connected to the same things, never has this issue. I forgot about it until recently when I moved my Mini to a different shelf. Otherwise the issue only turns up when there is a software update. Since that is normally the only time the Mini will reboot.

16. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Success! I got this switch from Amazon and it solved my "Mini always reboots when powering on the Sony TV" problem. :up:

17. aristoBrat

aristoBrat Active Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Wow, nice price on that! Under $5 shipped... :up: