1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does TV Mini need to be in the same room as the TV or will the remote work from 50'

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by club411, Apr 15, 2014.

1. club411

club411 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Hello all -

I bought two Tivo Mini's to run off of my Tivo Roamio for my Bedroom and Bathroom TV. I was planning to put them all into my AV rack in my media room but it just occurred to me that the remote probably wont work then. So I am guessing I would need to run cat6 to both the bedroom and bathroom and hide the Mini behind the TV?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ray

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I believe the Mini's remotes can be programmed to individual boxes, but more importantly they still need line of sight to the box. You'd need to run an IR extender from each TV's location to their Mini, as well as the A/V cables, and coax or cat6.

Or, alternatively, getting Tivo RF remotes (Slide Pro) would eliminate the line of sight need, but I couldn't guarantee the signal would reach.

If running all those cables is a bit much, it'd be easier to hide the Minis with the TVs. Does either TV have coax running to them? Not sure which Roamio you have, but you could create a moca network and the coax would be all the Mini's need run to them in the bed and bath.

Setting up a MoCA Network for Tivo

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just get the TiVo RF remot to use with the Minis. Then you don't need line of sight. I use the Slide Pro RF remotes with both of my TiVo Minis. It has a USB receiver that you put in the Mini USB port.

4. club411

club411 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I have the base TiVo Roamio which has Coax connection to Comcast. I was assuming I could connect my Roamio and both of my minis to my switch and they would all find each other.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    He noted your options for using a Tivo remote to control the boxes in your media center, and said nothing about the internet connectivity.

6. club411

club411 New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    It looks like its IR, so I will need to either have an ir extender or put the boxes behind the tv.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
  8. enzo thecat

enzo thecat New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Comcast Hell

The Mini does not have the RF capability, only the Roamio does.

The Mini uses IR as standard. If you want a non-line-of-sight option, there is a blue tooth receiver that comes with a specific model of Slide Pro remote. If you get the wrong Slide Pro remote (for the roamio) it will not include the bluetooth receiver.

So to clarify, the Slide pro remote can function with IR, RF, and bluetooth! Amazing!!!!

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Bluetooth is RF(radio frequency).

But the receiver that comes with the Slide Pro remote(when you order the correct one) also works with the regular Roamio RF remote. I think the original Slide remote used the Bluetooth Radio Frequencies. While the Slide Pro remote uses different Radio Frequencies from what BT uses.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even with an RF remote 50' might be too far. Especially though walls.

Do both TVs have coax going to both TVs? If so just use MoCa instead. The Minis have it built in, as do the Roamio Plus/Pro. If you have a Roamio basic you can get a MoCa adapter for $50 that will make it all work.

11. enzo thecat

enzo thecat New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Comcast Hell
    This is correct. I am using this configuration myself