1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does TIVO work with Centurylink Prism TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JimOConnor, Nov 27, 2013.

1. JimOConnor

JimOConnor New Member

Jun 11, 2003
    I am considering switching from Cox to Centurylink. The only reason for this switch is that Centurylink offers fiber-driven gigabyte internet in Omaha.

If I move my phone, internet and cable to Centurylink the pricing becomes attractive.

Does anyone know if Tivo will work with Centurylink's Prism TV? The sales people claim that it does - I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

JimO.

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    No Prism, like AT&T U-verse, is IPTV, a broadcast method not supported by Tivo. Maybe they'll include it in future Tivos someday.

3. boba2z

boba2z New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Why isn't Centurylink required to provide Cablecards??? The TV broadcast arrives at my house through a cable doesn't it? How can they get away with not being a cable company?

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The same way U-verse does. Doesn't really matter anyway. Even with a CableCARD, a TiVo still would not work with an IPTV service.

5. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    OK, I'm in Omaha and I just activated a new Roamio Pro on Cox last Friday. When going through guided setup, the Tivo asked me who my cable provider was and gave me the following choices:

Cox Communications
    CenturyLink Prism

Soooo if Tivo doesn't work with Prism, why would they show it as an option? Is Prism really an IPTV service or is it more like Fios?

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    For the same reason that U-verse is an option where it is available: a Series 2 TiVo would work if it is connected to and can control a CenturyLink Prism STB.

7. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    OK that makes sense. Seems odd it would appear in a Roamio Pro guided setup though, unless their guided setup protocol is just one size fits all across all generations. I wonder if it would have given me a "that won't work" message had I selected it (but I don't wonder enough to go back and re-run guided setup to find out :) )

8. vickhirani

vickhirani New Member

Oct 4, 2002
    anyone confirm that a Series 2 TiVo would work if it is connected to and can control a CenturyLink Prism STB??

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    If the STB has a rf/coaxial output or composite output, it will work if the S2 can control the box - controlling the box is the probably the only thing that would prevent a S2 from working with a centurylink prism STB.