1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does TiVo Premier have 2 cable card tuners or not??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rodneyremington, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1 of 32
    rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA
    I've searched through all the discussion today about the newly announced TiVo Premier but I must be missing the boat because nobody seems to be discussing the critical issue...that is according to the specs I've seen, it only has ONE cable card. What the heck. Does that mean we are back to only being able to record one thing at a time?? Or do we have to have a dual cable card.

Will I be able to take the 2 cable cards from my current TiVo HD and swap them into the Premier, or do I have to go through the whole song and dance with comcast coming to my home to program a new dual cable card for the Premier. Because that was hell and would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Anybody know??

2. Mar 2, 2010 #2 of 32
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    It would have one M-card slot. You won't need 2 cards.

3. Mar 2, 2010 #3 of 32
    maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    It will require an M card for dual tuner functionality.

edit: beat by a millisecond!

4. Mar 2, 2010 #4 of 32
    MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    And I bet it will be easier this time around.

5. Mar 2, 2010 #5 of 32
    30340guy

30340guy New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you think the reason they aren't letting you record via more tuners is so that you'll go out and buy two new boxes instead of just the one?

6. Mar 2, 2010 #6 of 32
    rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA
    So just to confirm, the fact that my current TiVo HD has 2 Comcast cable cards in it means that neither one is an M-card and I will have to have a Comcast installer come out to my home and install a new card into a Premier box.

Correct?

If so, crap. here we go again with the know-nothing Comcast installer who will be there sometime between 8 AM and 5 PM.

7. Mar 2, 2010 #7 of 32
    t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Anyone know if the tuners still do analog?

8. Mar 2, 2010 #8 of 32
    MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    cablecard approvale requires analog support if i recall

9. Mar 2, 2010 #9 of 32
    MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    not for sure- but i think if the first card is an S than the second could be s or m.

even if it is an M- you probably cant just unplug the card and stick it in the tivo- it has to get paired or somesuch and then the pairing number entered in the comcast system. (not all systems are locked down like that)

10. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    No they don't.

11. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'm fairly certain- I think that's why the moxi has the analog dongle thingie availible.

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm fairly certain they don't because the Ceton MOCUR doesn't have analog support.

13. djjuice

djjuice Member

Mar 29, 2008
    if you have a TivoHD you only need 1 M-Card, if you have a Series 3 you need to S-Cards or 2 M-Cards. Comcast only has M-Cards I believe. You can go to your local comcast store and they will give them to you. first card is no charge 2nd is like an extra dollar a month. This box will require just 1 M-card.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    OpenCable Specifications
    OpenCable Host Device 2.1 Core
    Functional Requirements

can be found here:
    http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications/OC-SP-HOST2.1-CFR-I10-091211.pdf

15. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    interesting

16. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    I was surprised too because like yourself I was under the impression that analog was required for cablelabs certification. But apparently it's not, and they've even loosened up the certification guidelines to include network tuners like jafa's hdhomerun cablecard tuner.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Pedantic nitpicks (redundant?): or 1 S-card and 1 M-card.

Also I presume you might mean that Comcast only now gives out M-cards, but when I got cablecards for one of my Tivos, within the last year, whenever they switched extended basic to digital, I got 2 S cards. (My TivoHD was more convenient at the time to put the cablecards in, so it has 2 S cards even though that's unnecessary.. Probably this weekend I'll finally get an M card, and use the S cards for my currently analog-only S3.)

18. Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    New Jersey
    You could be right. I was going by what Ceton Corp was saying about their product in that they only support digital cable. Then again the requirements for OCURs for PCs may be different than for host devices such as TiVo.

But then again the spec never says that it was mandatory, and it lists OCAP in the same context as analog, and as we know TiVo or any third party host device doesn't have OCAP yet.

Meanwhile there are at least two devices (SD CableCard tuner and Ceton quad tuner MOCUR) that don't have analog support at all. The SD CC tuner has already undergone its first round of testing at CableLabs and the Ceton MOCUR is going to be released at the end of the month from all indications.

19. t1voproof

t1voproof Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    So you guys think the new Tivo will work with analog cable perhaps with a dongle needed?

20. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Why would it not work with analog cable out of the box?