1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does TiVo ever do lifetime sub transfers anymore?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo Hobo, Oct 12, 2012.

1. TiVo Hobo

TiVo Hobo New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Does TiVo ever offer specials where you can purchase a new box and transfer an existing lifetime sub?

They used to do this... Any offers like this recently? Have a series 2 with lifetime. Thinking it's time to upgrade....

2. dallastx

dallastx New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    If you purchased lifetime service prior to January 21, 2000 you're entitled to transfer that lifetime service one time.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Other than the old service date mentioned above, I think that they may transfer to the same type box for a fee of $149. Haven't heard of anyone being able to transfer to an upgraded box.

4. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I did. I transferred a lifetime for free from a late model S1 to a TiVoHD.

5. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    If that's the case, I'm buying a new TiVo. But how do you go about doing that?

On second thought, no I won't. I just checked and see that I activated my first TiVo 11/6/2000. Ten months too late. So I guess I won't be buying a new TiVo after all. TiVo's loss more than mine.

6. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You already missed *3* previous chances to transfer lifetime.. S1 -> S2 (I didn't think it was worth it).. To S3, then to TivoHD.. IIRC, both of those cost a bit, but were still semi-reasonable.. at least during one of them, lifetime was not available normally.

7. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Before I bought a Premiere unit I was told I could buy a lifetime for it. However after I bought the unit (from woot a few years ago) they would not let me put lifetime one it. After a length discussion with a CSR where they reviewed the previous phone call with the CSR they allowed my to transfer one of my lifetimes from a HD to premiere at no cost to me.

So special cases do exist that allow you to transfer lifetimes, but I would suggest YMMV.

Rick

8. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, mine was a special case too, but it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's getting these bonus transfers.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    They're charging $500 for lifetime but wouldn't sell it to you?

Did they offer an explanation for this?

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You're not reading his post correctly. (He meant "on" instead of "one", which causes some confusion.)

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Actually, I misread the post as "...they would not let me put lifetime on it.", so I don't think I was mislead as to the intended meaning.

The only thing I can think of is this was back when they were trying to lock Premiere owners into a $20 per month, 2 year minimum commitment, especially if the unit wasn't purchased from TiVo themselves at full retail price.

12. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Yes that is correct, they wanted me to be locked into a monthly commitment, which I originally was told prior to purchase by the CSR that I would be able to avoid if I bought lifetime on it for $300. The $500 deal was not around at that time as far as I know.

Rick