1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Tivo Series 3 HD handle mp4's ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HF444, Jan 14, 2014.

1. HF444

HF444 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Silicon...
    Anyone know if the Series 3 is able to properly record and/or play mp4 sources or recordings?

Thanks for any responses.

2. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Playback, yes. Record in the sense of transfer to, yes.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    From what I understand, Series 3 Tivos can play mp4's encoded in a specific way, but AFAIK, you have to push them to the Tivo with PyTivo.

As for recording channels from the cable company that are encoded mp4 (actually H.264), they will not.

4. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    There are mp4s that won't go, but in many many hundreds of transfers over the years I've never had one that wouldn't, native or transcoded (transparently) on the fly.

5. HF444

HF444 New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Silicon...
    Thanks to you all for your comments.

I am worried about moving to San Diego where it seems that Cox cable is sending channels encoded as mp4 , and some other threads say that the TIVO HD has issues with recording these, so I am guessing that the S3 will be out of luck.

6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I don't believe the TiVo HD will play mp4 channels that are broadcast by your cable provider. Only mp4s that you transfer from your computer.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    First check and see if the channels that Cox is sending out as mpg4 are ones that you watch. If not, then you can keep using your HD. If they are ones that you want to receive, then sounds like time to upgrade to a newer TiVo. If you have lifetime on your HD, I believe some people may have been able to get a special deal to upgrade to a newer TiVo and transfer their lifetime service due to this.

Scott