1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Roamio Record Suggestions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by donnoh, Aug 31, 2013.

1. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    I apologize if this has been asked already, but I didn't see it in my search. Has Tivo fixed the Roamio where it will record suggestions when connected to a tuning adapter?

2. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Mine did before I turned it off.

3. carld

carld New Member

Mar 9, 2012
    My Roamio Plus has been recording suggestions steadily, the Premiere it replaced (same tuning adapter and cable card) stopped recording suggestions months ago.

4. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    My Plus has been up for 24 hours now with no suggestions. I vote that Suggestions is still broken.

5. Sep 1, 2013 #5 of 28
    Labo

Labo New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I've had my plus hooked up for 2 days and it's recorded about 15 suggestions.

6. Sep 1, 2013 #6 of 28
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Okay, I have to retract what I said before. My Roamio Plus is now showing about three pages of suggestion for the next several days. Maybe this is really fixed for tuning adapter users?

None have actually recorded yet, but at least the list is being populated.

7. Sep 1, 2013 #7 of 28
    elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Mine grabbed like 3 before I even cut it off, and that was pretty early on. So yes, its still spamming until you turn it off :)

8. Sep 1, 2013 #8 of 28
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I am officially excited--my Roamio is now recording suggestions without me doing the tuning adapter power off procedure. Perhaps this issue from the S3 and Premiere is finally fixed.

9. Sep 4, 2013 #9 of 28
    ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I can also confirm that my Roamio Pro is recording suggestions with a tuning adapter attached - finally! I was plagued with having to keep my TA on a timer with my XL4 in order to record suggestions which was a total nightmare as sometimes the TA would not sync back up and I'd have to power cycle it again and again. Thankfully those days look to be behind us...

10. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    We just got our plus yesterday and have no suggestions! I am not sure if we have a tuning adapter or not. What is this powering off the tuning adapter? We have some kind of little thing with one coaxial plugged in on one end and three things plugged in on the other is that it? I am not sure!

11. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Give it a few days. In my experience a TiVo needs a few days to do all its indexing of guide data and such before it starts recording suggestions.

A tuning adapter will be connected to your cable via coax and to your TiVo via USB. It also has a power cord. If you don't have a splitter on your coax, then there will also be a piece of coax connecting the the to the TiVo. The Tuning Adapter will probably have a Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, or Cisco logo on it.

But with the Roamio it should hopefully not matter whether you have a tuning adapter or not. So far my Roamio Pro is recording lots and lots of Suggestions for me, even with a tuning adapter. :) (Hooray. It's been years since I've really gotten any Suggestions on my old Series 3 TiVo!)

12. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I transferred my SPs via kmttg, which cleared the thumbs up/down flags on the SPs. When I added a single thumbs up for each SP, as is standard for SPs, my Roamio started recording suggestions.

13. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    My Suggestions just started - 72 hours after installing the Roamio, and about 60 hours after configuring the CableCard.

John

14. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    My Roamio Pro is recording suggestions like crazy. Why can't Tivo fix it for the Premieres?

15. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Perhaps Tivo wants to pretend the Premiere line never existed? :)

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I thought Margret implied it was fixed in the Fall update for Premiere.

17. bradenmcg

bradenmcg Big Geek

Dec 28, 2007
    Mayfield...
    For those with tuning adapters - is it recording suggestions on SDV channels?

I had a Series 3 with cablecard and TA several years ago. Suggestions still WORKED just fine, except they wouldn't record on SDV channels, which in my area meant most of the HD stuff. I would still get non-HD recordings of stuff from analog/non-SDV channels.

The SDV/TuningAdapter spec is pretty specific about how recordings are supposed to work, and there is a flag for "user-requested tuning" (or recording) vs. "autonomous tuning/recording" (i.e. suggestion). Cable companies have the power to block autonomous tuning requests because they undermine the main purpose of SDV.

In my area at least, SlimeWarner Cable blocked autonomous so I could never get HD suggestions other than the locals, which pretty much made suggestions pointless to me (I never watch non-HD TV).

18. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Yes, my Roamio Plus is recording suggestions on SDV channels while attached to a tuning adapter. I did not receive suggestions with the same setup with either an S3 or an XL4, so the Roamio appears to have fixed this problem.

Edit: I'm also on a Time-Warner cable system.

19. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I don't believe Time-Warner has ever had a policy of blocking speculative tunes for tuning adapter users. The problem was in Tivo's software which wouldn't populate the suggestions list while a tuning adapter was attached.

TivoMargret has stated that they believe the issue will be fixed with the Premiere's fall update. Presumably, the Roamio already has the new code since suggestions are working.

20. bradenmcg

bradenmcg Big Geek

Dec 28, 2007
    Mayfield...
    Wow, for the longest time with the Series3 I was told that it was due to the provider blocking speculative/autonomous tunes, so either I was being fed BS by Tivo, or Tivo has now "worked around" it by ignoring the standard and marking Suggestions as user-initiated instead of autonomous... :D

This makes me much more likely to consider a Roamio, my favorite thing about Tivo was suggestions as it meant we always had a bunch of reruns of stuff we could put on. When we had Tivo, we almost never watched anything live, even if the TV was just on as "background noise" (which my wife does all the time), she'd put on suggestions and then if I started paying attention to the TV I could at least skip the commercials.