1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Roamio Pro have two network interfaces?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rlcarr, Feb 4, 2014.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Obviously I know the Roamio Pro has the functionality of a TiVo Stream inside it. But is this done by essentially embedding a Stream in the Pro?

I ask because I set up my DHCP server to give my Pro (connected via MoCA) an address of 192.168.1.130 (DHCP server will always give it that address because on my DHCP server I established a mapping between the Pro's MAC and that IP address).

However, when I set up the iOS Stream app and looked at its settings, the app was reporting the Pro was at 192.168.1.204 (which is in the address range I've configured my DHCP server to give to devices with unmapped MAC addresses). And the DHCP lease file my server generates shows that the device it gave the .204 address to is the Pro.

I went to the Pro's network settings page and it shows the 192.168.1.130 address. I then pinged the .130 address and it was live. And I pinged the .204 address and it also is live.

So is that second address the Pro is using in fact an essentially embedded Stream?

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
  3. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    I also see when viewing settings in the iOS app that the embedded Stream is reporting a release of 19.whatever, in contrast to the 20.whatever the Roamio reports on its System Information page.

I assume that Streams in general have that 19.whatever release?

And can the Stream in the Roamio Pro get its release updated, or is it "frozen"?

4. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Any computing device can have multiple IP addresses. It's not common, but there are plenty of reasons to do it. One being needing to use the same TCP/IP port for different applications. As in the stream and the tivo aspects of the box both need to use a certain port. Configuring the software internally to set the other up on a different IP would neatly work around it.

Here's an additional test to consider. Bring up a cmd prompt, ping both the stream and the tivo address. Then do an 'arp -a' and it'll bring up an 'address resolution protocol' table. Compare the IP addresses with the MAC addresses. I'd venture a guess they'll both have the same MAC address.

5. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Nope. They have different MACs.

6. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    The Roamio Plus/Pro essentially have an ethernet switch inside them with a TiVo Stream hanging off it. The Stream is pretty much identical to the standalone Stream for Basic/Premier users, with its own separate hardware (including Ethernet interface) so it actually has a separate MAC address for that.

7. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Does/can the embedded stream get software updates like (I presume) the standalones can?

8. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The answer to that would have to be yes, either as standalone FW that is bundled into the main Roamio updates or it is handled as some separate update.

It's not possible to put the Stream hardware into the Roamio and provide no way to update the FW.