1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the mini use the same type of RF remote that the roamio uses?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by BlackBetty, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Would be nice to have that functionality in the mini so you can hide the box behind the TV or in a closet.

2. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    TiVo now sells a USB IR receiver that can be used if you want to hide the box.

3. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Would be nice if they went with RF in the mini remotes instead.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  5. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    They did. It was the TiVo Slide. Too bad they discontinued it. We may see something new as a replacement.

6. jessehere

jessehere New Member

Apr 14, 2010
    i wonder if the slide with work with the roamio

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    it better. That is what I plan to use when I get my Roamio.

8. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I have a blu-ray player that I've been having IR issues with. It's in a cabinet with a glass door but the remote doesn't seem to work with it unless you're standing right next to it. Do you think Mini USB IR receiver would work with it? It's a Panasonic DMP-BD85.

The other option is to get something like this from Smarthome which only uses the USB for power: http://www.smarthome.com/59507/Smar...Repeater-Kit-with-Surface-Mount-Sensor/p.aspx

9. zubinh

zubinh Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Does anyone know if the new RF remote will be able to perform Macros so that I can power everything on/off with one button?

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From the reviews it's pretty basic. I don't think it even has learning for the power/input/mute buttons like past remotes had. Although someone mentioned that they talked to a CSR at TiVo who said a replacement for the Slide was coming soon. So maybe their plan is to give a basic remote with the TiVo and sell a premium one as an accessory. I know when I took a survey a few months back they asked about all sorts of features that might make it better for a real HT setup. We'll have to wait and see where they landed on this.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Exactly. And the new remote HAS NO KEYBOARD. ***STUPID MOVE TIVO***

Let's hope they come to their senses and offer a new Slide model soon... For now, I will use my Slide on it and hope it doesn't break (it is confirmed to work fine).

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But the new remote does have a remote finder :rolleyes:

At least the Plus and Pro models do anyway.

I still don't get it. I was surprised that so many people drop their remotes. Do alot of people lose their remotes too?