1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the mini have dynamic tuner allocation now?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by bluebsh, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I ask this because I keep having my main premier xl4 box going into recording 4 shows at once mode, even though I have a mini... this started in the past two months where I will turn on the mini and be told live tv isn't available now because all tuners are in use, and I have to cancel recordings just to watch live tv now...

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. They added it a few weeks ago with the Fall update.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    For you to watch live TV on the mini, the main Tivo has to record it.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's not true. The Mini can simply borrow a live tuner from the host TiVo. But it can only do that if the host TiVo is not recording. Unfortunately it appears TiVo allows suggestions to take priority over live TV on the Mini so if you have suggestions recording then you may get a "no tuner available" message when trying to watch live TV on the Mini.

The Stream requires you to record to watch live TV, but not the Mini.

5. bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Is there anyway to dedicate a tuner still? I am already getting sick of having to cancel recordings to watch live tv on my mini, sure dynamic is nice, but I don't really want it the way I have my system set up.. the device tells me it had to turn off live tv due to a "setting" on my main box... what setting? I went through all the settings menus and can't find anything tuner related... and I THOUGHT there use to be one for tuner allocation

6. razor237

razor237 Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Jackson, NJ
    I think they took that away when they went to dynamic tuner allocation, I cant find it on my mini

7. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I'm trying to understand this. So if the main tivo box is recording something, even if it's just one program, you can't watch LIVE TV on the mini? This doesn't make practical sense, unless I'm missing something. I was hoping the mini is like having another box but it borrows a tuner from the main box to watch LIVE TV.

To have to stop recording something on the main box just to watch LIVE TV on a mini seems counter productive. I'm sure I'm missing something because not being able to watch LIVE TV on a mini while the main box is recording doesn't seem right.

8. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No, he means if all tuners are consumed by recordings (including Suggestions), no tuner will be available for live TV on the Mini. Thus something would have to be cancelled to use Live TV.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What are you having to cancel? If they are suggestions then I suggest just turning them off. They're not worth the hassle they cause unless you really watch them a lot. If these are low priority recordings that repeat frequently then there is really nothing you can do other then to cancel them like you've been doing or get rid of the SP completely. Maybe using a Manual recording for a specific time slot would work better for you?

10. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    thanks bigjimoutlaw!

11. bluebsh

bluebsh Member

Jun 4, 2008
    we have suggestions already turned off, but a lot of time time we will have it try to record 4 programs, and I have to keep telling it to cancel one just to watch live tv.. I liked it better when I could say only record 3 max and allow one tuner for the mini. Now if it finds 4 possible records (say season passes that I might not really care if get recorded or not) it will throw me off the live tv to record it (well tell me it will).. even if we did manually recording I know at times we'd have 4 possible records going... because certain family members would find things to record....

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds like you need a 6 tuner Roamio. :)

13. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    Pre-Purchase Question: IF two Mini's are tuned into the same channel.. does this mean that two tuners are in use? or only one with the same channel going out to the two Mini's

14. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Two tuners.

15. markfheil

markfheil New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    West Haven, CT
    So its basically the identical situation to when you want to watch live TV on the actual Premier/Roamio and all tuners are in use? So not really a big deal.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Except that on the main TiVo if you try to change the channel it'll prompt you with the option to cancel the recording. Also if it's a Suggestion it will simply cancel the recording without prompting.

On the Mini you have to go to My Shows, find the recording, and cancel it manually. Would be nice if the Mini prompted you with a list of all recording shows and the option to cancel one of them. Also if it was smart enough to cancel Suggestions like it does on the main TiVo.

17. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    This would be convenient for my wife and I, but it would be bad when my mother-in-law is staying with us. There is a Mini in the guest bedroom, and I would hate for her to have the ability to so easily cancel one of my recordings. It would be ideal if you could turn this feature on and off for each individual Mini. We virtually never watch TV in the guest bedroom, so there would be no real benefit to having it on that Mini. It would be nice to have it on the Minis in the master bedroom and workout room, though. :)

18. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    The TiVo web site still says this:
    Is this true or not? I have a Premier XL4 and want a Mini, but if it permanently ties up a tuner, I'm not going to go for it.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They released a software update in November that added dynamic tuner allocation to the Premiere.

20. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    That is wrong, the web site needs an update. I actually submitted a ticket about a month ago with like 8 errors on the site including that one, for a laugh... Needless to say I got a cookie-cutter answer and the errors still are up there

The premieres software got an update months ago that enabled dynamic tuner allocation and removed the ability to designate specific tuner(s) for minis.