1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the 30 minute cache on TiVo drive anyone else nuts?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by senses3, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1 of 59
    senses3

senses3 New Member

Apr 7, 2013
    I have a new TiVo Premiere and I love most of it, but this 30 minute cache is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Every other DVR I have ever used has atleast been able to pause for 1-2 hours.

I have found a hack to change this, but it's only for earlier tivo boxes :(.

Anyone have any suggestions for changing this? Also, let me know what you think about this madness.

2. Apr 7, 2013 #2 of 59
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I do not have problem with it. If I know I am going to be longer the 1/2 hr I hit record and record it.

3. Apr 7, 2013 #3 of 59
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    amen brother! ;-)=

4. Apr 7, 2013 #4 of 59
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Anything I watch on the TiVo I hit record. Then if I am interrupted or even if I change the channel by accident I know the show will be there watch. This has worked very well in my 10+ years of TiVo use.
    Plus TiVo has an individual buffer for each tuner. I know many of the cable companies DVRs used to only have one buffer. But I don't know if that is still the case. But either way there is no need for a 2 hour buffer.

5. Apr 7, 2013 #5 of 59
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    IYHO.:)

I have both TiVos (including an Elite) and DirecTV. And yes, I record everything I ever want to watch. And yet there are still times I find myself going back thru the DirecTV 1.5 hour buffer looking for something. It's never critical, usually something like a weather report or whatnot, but it does happen.

Is this a big deal? Nah. But would it be handier if a TiVo had a longer buffer, maybe user configurable? Why not.

6. Apr 7, 2013 #6 of 59
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hell, why not make it 4 hours. Maybe 8. Why not 24?

7. Apr 7, 2013 #7 of 59
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i've had dtv and comcast w/tivo, and the buffer isn't an issue for me. like others have posted, if there's any question, i hit record, then pause. no big deal.

8. Apr 7, 2013 #8 of 59
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    There are so many other features, and even fixes on stuff broken needed that this would be WAY down on wish list.

9. Apr 7, 2013 #9 of 59
    Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Not enough. To all available disk space.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And when you do hit the record button the buffer is also recorded.

11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I really think we need at least a 60 to 90 minute buffer because sometimes my wife and i will come home and there will be a movie or even live breaking news that has been on longer than 30 minutes and so even if i rewind the buffered program its still not enough to see the movie,so i have to check the tivo guide if its been replayed later sometimes i get lucky and it is ,sometimes not, so i'm out of luck,as for breaking news i can only go back to the start of the 30 minutes and see what i missed from there. our local los angeles area channels are always covering high speed car chases, shootouts, even emergency airplane landings,brushfires,and flooding during storms in winter.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If your that concerned just leave the TiVo recording when you leave your home, than if there is nothing you want on the ONE channel you left the TiVo on, just erase the program. I do agree it would nice if it was user selectable, but I not sure where on the drive the buffer is stored, I don't think it is on the program part of the drive, so changing the buffer size may be a bigger software deal than we all think as partitions may have to be changed in size. With the TP-4 TiVo can store 2 hours now (30 min for each tuner) if you made it 90 minuets you are talking about 6 hours of buffer, that about 8% of the drive space of the TP-4).

13. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    It would be nice it was an hour buffer. I have had instances when I turn on the TV and an interesting program just happens to be recording on a tuner and I find that I would like to record it. However, it may be 45 minutes in, and if I hit record, I lose the first 15 minutes.

However, this can still be easily fixed by simply looking for another showing of the program recording that. :)

14. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you use suggestions and thumbs enough, and have adequate hard drive space, the tivo may well already be recording such programs.

15. az1097

az1097 New Member

Apr 3, 2013
    For which earlier models and how?

16. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    I've always felt the thirty minute buffer was too short. Most TV series are an hour long so it would be nice to have that leeway. If you are into sport programming it is helpful because sometimes you forget to record an event. To me it is something that TiVo just refused to explore while other DVR'S made it one of their major features.

17. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sometimes a longer buffer would be nice, but on the rare occasions that I find a program that I'd like to watch in it's entirety but find that it started well over 30 minutes earlier, I just say "oh well" and move on to something else. 30 minutes later, I've forgotten all about it.

18. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    As with any feature such as this it should be a USER OPTION. If you have the HDD space to allow for a 2 hour buffer then go for it. It's a value that is hard coded somewhere in the Tivo kernel, make it a variable and ask the user what they prefer.

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Agreed, but as with all things we don't get it is apparently not the Tivo Way.

20. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    +1, as I have ALWAY wished for this option!