1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Roamio support more video/audio formats than premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by swerver, Sep 3, 2013.

1. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    For instance, right now with pyTivo, certain supported formats can be sent to a premiere without transcoding. Seems like a long shot, but... any chance that the roamio supports more formats than the premiere? HD audio support would be awesome. But I'm thinking there are licensing fees that would drive the cost of the tivo up too much, so it's probably no.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. They could pass through DTS-HD or DD-HD without paying any license fees, but they have that PCM option which requires a decoder and that would require a license fee. And since there are no broadcasters using HD audio, or any OOT apps currently using it either, they really have no incentive to add support.

I'm still holding out hope that some day we'll see a combo TiVo/BluRay player. In that case they would have to have the licenses for HD audio so it would be more likely.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I was intrigued by this possibility when I heard about the Roamio's HTML5 support. Might it play, for example, VP8/Vorbis/WebM videos ripped from YouTube? (That would be a big help to me.) But moyekj's tests so far have found only support for H.264/AAC/MP4 via HTML5. (I have yet to try offering new formats via pyTivo, but I'm not optimistic.)

There would be no licensing issues with WebM, but there's still the issue of having it supported in hardware the way H.264 is.