1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does FOX SPORTS draw strongly with its lips on an unspecified object?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    That's the closest I've ever come to using a certain expression.

Today, I'm watching my local baseball team play on our Fox station.

Suddenly, they go split-screen.

Seems that in Seattle, a White Sox player is about to (possibly) pitch the 20th perfect game in regular season history.

They cut off the audio to our game, and all you can hear is the Seattle announcers.

Then, the local screen vanishes and they go fullscreen to Seattle.

I have no idea what's going on with our local game.

It's not being carried on any other channel, naturally.

Sure, the guy did get the 20th perfect game ever in regular season history. But I was watching our local game.

If Fox Sports was a person, would I be out of line to be curious about how it'd look if that person were driven down by a Mac truck?

Oh...

Now they've gone back to our game.

The losing team has somehow gotten several runs in the last few minutes, and it's on the verge of changing from our boys being far ahead to the game being tied.

We missed all the runs scored that led to this.

Yes.

Fox Sports draws strongly with its lips on an unspecified object.

2. bc0312

bc0312 Member

Dec 25, 2002
    To be fair...It was 9-1 when they cut out of the game for the final 2 outs.

3. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    If my local game was 9-1 and they cut to cover that historic (and RARE) of an event, I wouldn't have any problem with that if they cut for a couple of outs and got back to my game. If my game happened to have that big of a comeback, it would suck, but I wouldn't blame Fox for doing what they did.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time, either, that the Twins blew a decent lead in recent years.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Just be happy your team made a comeback and won the game.

Can't blame FOX for thinking it was over before it was over. That happens in baseball. I left a game early once (to beat the traffic) because I thought there was no hope in winning. Listening to the game on the radio during the drive home, I realized I made a big mistake.

Or maybe, because it's early in the season they figured the no hitter was "more newsworthy" than one game that may not be a deciding factor as to who goes to the World Series.

5. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I hate when people chew the erasers off pencils.

6. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I can't imagine being upset about being taken out of a run of the mill April game to be shown a perfect game even if the lead changed or the game became close.

I would be placing my lips on their cheeks thanking them for including me in history.

7. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    20th Ever!!!!!! In The History Of Baseball!!!!!!

8. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Don Larsen weeps.

9. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    That's like one every 5 years or so, isn't it? Rare, but not all that rare.

It's happened a dozen times since I started watching baseball as a kid.

10. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm with you, that would suck.

11. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    According to the math, it happens once in every 38,095 pitcher starts. Seems pretty rare to me.

Odd though the frequency lately. 4 of them in the last 3 years. Before that, only 17 in 128 years. Anti-steroid era anyone?

Still, it's one of the most exciting things in baseball.

12. Mars Rocket

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    I think Richard Dawkins looks at this in one of his books. He was trying to explain the decline of .400 hitting and concluded that the pitching has improved faster than hitting over the past 100+ years.

13. Mars Rocket

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    With a minimum of 4,860 starts per year you reach that number quicker than you might think. Yes, it's exciting, and fun to watch, but it's just not as rare as they make it out to be.

14. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    That's about once every 8 years. Sounds pretty rare to me. You have an odd sense of rare.

As for the switch, Fix did the right thing. They are not local. They are a national network and should show the game of historical significance.

15. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    We're watching the Yankee/Red Sox game now on Roku- finally get to see how it went down :D

16. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    That's not the game I was watching. We were nowhere near the end of the game.

Never said they did. Never specified what game I was watching, or who won.

17. gastrof

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

They were showing the game for our local team, rather than the Mariners/WhiteSox game. I could see them showing highlights of the event AFTER the local game was over, but what's the point of following a game for your local team if it can be yanked away from you at any second for a completely unrelated game?

Might was well "watch" it on radio.

Your logic is lacking here.

Fox blew it.

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    No. Yours is. They are not obligated to show your local team. They show whatever game they want wherever they want. No rules like the nfl on local coverage.

They went to a historical event. It was not just any game.

This is like complaining that the news would break away from a local mayors race because the president was addressing the nation.

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Right. I was watching for the coverage of the Yanks/Sox game. I was a bit disappointed that the coverage broke away during the rally but I get the significance. The chance for a perfect game supersedes a 9-1 blowout. Besides, they showed the grands slam in a summary recap.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    "MLB on FOX" is a national broadcast, not local. It may have been your local team, but it was still a national broadcast.

Since you say you weren't seeing Mariners/White Sox, you must have been watching the Yankees @ Boston game - the same game everyone else in the country (except the Pacific Northwest, Chicago, and Alaska) was seeing. (FOX only had two games this week to broadcast.)

Given that, they're going to show what they believe is of most importance to the majority of the national audience. In this case, it's not going to be an average Yankees/Red Sox game, it's going to be one of only a handful of perfect games in MLB history, especially since at the time the Yankees/Red Sox game seemed to be a complete blowout.