1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does comcast/cable cards still require an installer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dave_d, Jan 12, 2013.

1. dave_d

dave_d New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    So I'm very tempted by an offer from Tivo for a premier but I'd need to get a new cable card for it. I know when they brought down the cable cards for my TivoHD they required an installer to put them in my Tivo.(that was back in 07) Are they still requiring this or can you just go down to the local office and pick one up?
  2. porges

porges New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    I did mine over the phone. I'm with Comcast in the Boston area, if that makes any difference.
  3. sfpegasus

sfpegasus New Member

Dec 14, 2004
    I just went down and picked one up. 5 minutes on the phone and I was good to go. SF Bay Area.
  4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    They have been required to allow self installs or cablecards since august 2011.
  5. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Self install is easily done. Comcast now has a dedicated 1800 team (based in Philipines from what I can tell). I've installed two Premiere and one HD in last four months. All complete with no issues from their 1800 support side.

Just today, I moved my cable card over from a Premier box to a HD XL box with zero phone calls or support. Oddly, it was plug and play from one box to the other. Reading other threads, it isn't supposed to go like that so I make no promises. Maybe backward compatible but not for upgrades in hardware ?

Two issues I've read about ...local cable office is conveniently out of cards and don't know when more will arrive.......cards issued fail...it did take me three cards on one of my boxes to get it going. Luckily, my cable office was just ten minutes away.
  6. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    By very explicit FCC regulations, no less. In short, they are required by federal law to do so.
  7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Mine took five hours on the phone with support and eventually a tech visit. Ymmv.
  8. dave_d

dave_d New Member

Oct 16, 2003
    That's good. My main issue is I didn't want to have to set up an appointment and take a day off work to have a technician do something I can do for myself. (I've been working in the tech field for decades, if I can't put in a card I should have been fired long ago:D )
  9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    On Comcast you can move cards, but usually none of the movie channels will work because they require pairing.

The Philippines-based card activation center has been very good, I've paired cards through them multiple times on Tivos and an HD Homerun Prime PC tuner.
  10. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    In my experience they very quickly suggest a truck roll if they can't get their end sorted out.
  11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    And the sad part is that all the tech does is call the right person to get it fixed, usually. Big waste of time.
  12. billbillw

billbillw Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I installed 4 cards by myself. I did one box at a time over the course of a few weeks. Except for one bad card, it was pretty easy.
  13. t1voproof

t1voproof New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    The hardest part was waiting in line at the Comcast office. The phone call to activate the card was relatively painless. They need about 3 numbers from the cablecard screen and was good to go.
  14. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Just moved my card from a TivoHD to a Tivo Premier 4, called the Phillipines activation center and got it switched over. All the channels came in. Tonight I noticed I wasnt getting Encore, so checked the screens, and the VAL:? showed up. Called them back, they deleted the cablecard, reentered it, and it popped right on. They have gotten much better in the past year. Last year was a nightmare, requiring two truck rolls.