1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone think the THR22 is worse than the R10?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Gordon Gekko, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1 of 50
    Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I actually just switched back to the R10, still have a standard television in that particular room and while I was going to switch to high def, after using the THR22 for a day I will wait longer as I found it to be a step lower in quality from the R10.

There is an annoying screen saver that kicks in if you have any live television paused for a few minutes and there is no way to shut it off. When you hit the fast forward button there is a delay and awkward stammer start to it, the R10 fast forwards in a completely smooth fashion.

Instead of hitting the down button on the remote you have to hit a live tv button to switch tuners, minor issue I know but the new remote is not better than the R10 one.

Unless there is an option for this that I missed you can't just hit record in a one touch like fashion from the R10, the THR22 takes you to a separate screen with other options and you must highlight record and press enter.

There were a couple of other issues that I can't remember but overall I felt this update was clearly designed on the cheap and it is depressing as I'm not sure how long Directv will support the R10 and I do prefer Directv over other options but I love Tivo.

Maybe Tivo will one day allow you to use their own brand receivers with Directv or perhaps design a better Directv/Tivo combination receiver?

2. Jul 8, 2015 #2 of 50
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The fast-forward issue is MPEG4 vs MPEG2. I have a THR22 and have had DTiVos back to the DSR6000 (but not the R10). I find the THR22 to be an adequate substitute for the HR10. The UI is pretty much the same as the older DTiVos with the same recording features, and the remote is almost identical. I haven't seen the tuner switch issue you describe.

I will agree that the THR22 is not all it could be, but I'd never consider going back to an R10. I do like the non-TiVo HR44 a lot.

3. Jul 8, 2015 #3 of 50
    Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    But where is Tivo going in relation to Directv, I thought I might have read a rumor about a new combo device, if not will Tivo ever sell a product that can be used on Directv but totally independent, meaning a Roamio that can hook up to any Directv receiver?

4. Jul 8, 2015 #4 of 50
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I very much doubt we will ever see another DirecTV compatible TiVo.

5. NGeorge

NGeorge Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I tend to agree... Although depending on the agreement they come up with around 2018 when the current one expires--if they don't decide to just drop service on SD DirecTivos and the THR-22 and move everyone to a D* box--we may see a Series 4/Premiere DirecTV device show up sometime around 2020.

I say that mainly in jest - - except that is how the THR-22 happened... DirecTV wanted to ensure that service to SD Tivos didn't get dropped - - and that Tivo wouldn't sue them over their DVR patents - - I also think there was some sort of a discount involved for service fees of D* commuted a certain amount of marketing and commercials (which they did for a couple years)--as part of the deal, D* had to release a new box and market it, thus the THR-22...

So I think a future D* box depends on if D* wants to keep having a 'bastard stepchild' box available to keep their Tivo subscribers happy, and to keep Tivo from charging higher license fees/from suing them for patents... So who knows. Back when the Tivo lawsuits were going, they also targeted Dish and won -- but Dish just ponied up for licensing fees vs. releasing the box -- but they also didn't have an existing subscriber base to maintain.

I've often wondered if it was technically possible to release a Roamio with a smartcard slot and satellite tuner rather than a cablecard - - FTA satellite receivers often include a smartcard slot to decode Conditional Access for various subscriptions services using various types of encryption, so as long as the box could receive the signals in the bands that D* and E* use, it would just be a matter of getting the correct access card and having it authorized - - of course the bigger issue is if the satellite companies would actually go for this... I think E* would be easier than D* since they use NagraVision and broadcast a DVB compliant signal, but IIRC the latest version of NSS VideoGuard that D* uses is now DVB compatible as well - - so I think technically it could be done if they would actually activate them...

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The only reason the THR-22 exists is because TiVo contractually agreed NOT to sue DirecTV as they did just about everyone else. That ship has sailed and we will never see another TiVo for DirecTV because TiVo requires its "partners" to pay for almost everything from development to marketing. Mike White was always dismissive of the THR-22 in conference calls. It was as if he found new subtle phrases to put the THR-22 down and pointing out what the Genie could do that the THR-22 could not. He has no interest in giving TiVo any more money and would prefer his subscribers to get his Genie product.

Keep in mind the THR-22 lacks several of the great features that are on the retail TiVo models such as networking/transferring, OTT streaming services, and more. Now, if the THR-22 had been based on the S4 instead of S3, it might have been a little bit more compelling.

2018 is going to be a very interesting year for TiVo and all of us.

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The THR22 was based on the HR22, not the S3, though hardware-wise, the two are comparable. From the TiVo perspective, it's a Series 2 DTiVo.

I'd happily give up my THR22 and stick with the HR44, but my wife is happy with the narrow TiVo feature set of the THR22.

8. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Not that it would ever happen, and heaven forbid D* wanting to make all of the TiVo owners rejoice, But if only D* would just enable networking feature of the THR22.
    If they did that, I would add an HR44 to the stable of DVR's I have and network them all together. That sure would be nice....

9. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    But that would enhance the THR-22 and devalue the GENIE DirecTV would prefer you to have :). No enhancements ever coming to the THR-22. I saw in another thread that when the customer canceled, DirecTV did NOT want the THR-22 back, just the access card. I think that tells us the future of the THR-22 in DirecTV's mind: it will be replaced by a DirecTV product as soon as this current agreement with TiVo expires. I would feel very sad for those THR-22 users who love their TiVo experience on DirecTV, but there are costs to partnering with TiVo, and that was the big sticking point on why almost every other MVPD just chose NOT to partner with TiVo. Yes, DirecTV did in the early years because DirecTV loved to spend money (under GM/Hughes ownership) and TiVo was the tops DVR and it made sense to have TiVo do the honors since DirecTV didn't do harely anything in-house in those years, and DirecTV was all about the premium experience in those days, so TiVo fit in perfectly. Now, the only parthers are small MSO's who can't provide decent DVR's, and the Comcast romance was about leading TiVo on just so Comcast would not get sued. At the time, Tom Rogers did say that anyone who would not "talk" to them about a TiVo partnership would be SUED! So, Comcast talked, and DirecTV had TiVo contractually agree NEVER to sue them in reference to TiVo patents in exchange for what would be the very, very late well past original availability date (by years?) THR-22 when S4's had already been out a while, and everybody else got sued. Of course, Dish got the dubious honor of being sued first because Dish had the most DVR's out in the field at that time and TiVo wanted Dish to serve as an example to the rest of the MVPD's and STB makers who would, in fact, be sued. FWIW Tom Rogers and Charlie Ergen never lost their freindship during the entire patent fight nor did either take the patent "disagreement" (as Ergen referred to it) personally. It was all business. In fact, when the settlement was reached and the first wire transfer completed, Egen said he expected Tom to buy him lunch the next time they get together. :).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Umm, yes, I understand that, but my point was that the TiVo experience on the THR-22 was a Series 3 experience/UI, or am I wrong on that, too. Please correct me, I will not be insulted. I prefer to learn from those who know :). The Series 3 really was an enhanced S2 in many respects, I agree. Even the UI was a strectched out S2 UI with better fonts and more refinement of the menus, I agree, but it was sufficiently different to deserve its own Seires because of its HD recording capability and the superior design and build of the orginal S3 648 OLED box.

Please see my post above about DirecTV not wanting the THR-22 back from a customer who canceled service. My, that is NOT good news.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The UI experience on the THR22 is strictly Series 2-level. It's HR10-250 with a couple of added features.

DirecTV often says not to bother returning boxes that aren't current models. They have more than enough stock of THR22 to meet forseeable needs. What I am uncertain of is the claim that if DirecTV says not to return the box then it is automatically "owned". I don't think that's the case.

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You're correct, it still isn't "owned". The original lessee has to pay $135 to officially own it, and then and only then can it be transferred to another account. I just got off the phone with them again and this was reconfirmed.

13. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Well, If D* ever kills off the THR22's to force everyone to go to one of their DVR's it will be the day I drop D* and go to Astound, now Wave.
    They just ran fiber down our street and now going door to door trying to sell the service.
    Not a bad deal, $30 a month for the 1st year and then it goes up to 40. That includes internet. They use TiVo's also.
    May do it anyway if att makes any changes to the service or if there is a price increase.

Some time ago, there was talk about D* having a duel GUI DVR that you could select their GUI or the TiVo GUI when initially configuring a new unit.
    Guess it wasn't true.
    It's too bad that D* treats the THR22 as an unwanted child.
    Perhaps att will have a better attitude about the THR22.

Also....
    A friend of mine had a HR34 that failed and D* replaced it with a HR44. That unit sure is small.
    Does anyone know if it is using a solid state drive? or on board non volatile memory for program storage?

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Regular hard disk in the HR44. But the firmware is in NVRAM.

15. BOBCAT

BOBCAT Member

Nov 28, 2002
    SF bay area
    Thanks Steve.

16. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    It would be nice if Tivo programmers gave a seminar to Directv programmers on how to write EFFICIENT code.

I have had Directv for the last 16 years and just switched back to Charter(huge cost savings). I never realized how painfully slow the Directv DVRs had become(actually I have at times) until I used not only a Roamio but even Charter's own DVR.

Between how slow opening my HR34's guide had become to changing to the wrong channel probably THOUSANDS of times (type 265, box reacts....2...........6 times up off to channel 26......5 now off to channel 5) it is refreshing to have a responsive DVR again.

17. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I'm still using the Directv R10 Tivo but soon I will have to use the THR-22 Directv Tivo, I'm hoping the fast forward situation is more smooth than how it was on that first day.

However I was thinking about using the Genie and Genie wireless in order to remove any wiring on the second floor. If I was to leave Tivo entirely, what would I be missing? Part of the reason I kept using Tivo was that I use both tuners often and I need the ability to pause between both live tuners and from what I read none of the Directv DVR's were able to do this or it was not done in a smooth way, is this still true?

Do the Diretcv DVR's have 30 second skip, is the fast forward better now and not jumpy, any other major things that I would lose?

Does the wireless Genie mini run effectively or is there problems with it? If you hook the main receiver up and the bridge, is that all you need? Thanks for your help.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The DirecTV DVRs allow you to choose between "skip" and "slip". I would very much recommend the Genie over the THR22 (I have both).

19. Gordon Gekko

Gordon Gekko New Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Thanks but what about the ability to cross between 2 live tuners easily, pause 1 or pause both etc. etc.

20. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The DTV DVRs have what is called "Double Play". You hit the down arrow twice to activate and that gives you the dual buffers, which you switch between also using the down arrow. It automatically turns off after 2 hours of inactivity. The Genie also has PiP/PoP using this technology which I love during football especially, being able to put my main game on the big side and NFL Red Zone on the smaller one.

I agree, genie is better than DirecTV's TiVo offering. I also have both.