1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by George Webster, Jun 30, 2007.

1. George Webster

George Webster New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    People on this forum have reported that when they connect their OTA antenna directly to their TV, they can recieve channel 8.1 WTNH in connecticut just fine. However, they cannot recieve it on their Series 3 Tivo.

Is it possible to purchase a non-Tivo DVR that can record 8.1 WTNH? Is anyone having success with a different brand? High definition?

The Series two only handles satillite and cable TV - no over the air antenna and no High Definition.

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Huh? I have an OTA connected to my TiVo Series 3 and receive my local channels here in the Boston area no problem. Why would WTNH be different? If it is, then maybe it would be better to get WTNH to fix their problem! :)

The Series 3 only support OTA and cable -- NOT satellite. There are no other DVRs, currently in production, and currently being sold in retail stores, that support recording HD OTA and/or cable.

3. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    The WTNH problem is limited almost exclusvely to the Tivo series 3. Any other receiver/DVR will probably work fine. The HR10-250, for example, has no problems at all.

Note when I say "WTNH" I mean the WTNH-type of s3 problem, which is happening with a number of local stations in various locations.

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Can someone please provide a link to a detailed description of the problem, how it manifests, what TiVo has said about the issue, etc?

5. Jul 1, 2007 #5 of 61
    George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    In another thread a poster was decribing this problem with WTNH. He said that Tivo support had him look up the PID number on the Tivo system informatin screen when tuned to 8.1 WTHN. He also said there were no numbers listed next to the PID. He said Tivo suppoert told him that means that WTNH is not sending the information that will allow the Tivo to decode the signal.

I for one do not buy that because all three of my televisions decode the signal just fine and the problem seems to be only on the Tivo, as many others have confirmed with their own televisions.

6. Jul 1, 2007 #6 of 61
    harley52

harley52 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Just a suggestion. Try the local thread in the AVS forum for a discussion on this. One other thing. I assume you don't have a TiVo S3 so unless you actually look at the pids on the S3 for that station you can't say that TiVo is providing an invalid argument.

7. Jul 1, 2007 #7 of 61
    Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    I don't understand what you're saying. The three PID entries (of six) are not there for the offending digital stations (including WTNH). Whether they are not being broadcast, or just not being read by the Tivo s3 I don't know; do you? And if they are not being broadcast but required by digital broadcasting standards, how do digital TVs and other brands of digital receivers see the offending stations fine?

8. Jul 1, 2007 #8 of 61
    George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    I do have an S3 and on WTNH there are no numbers next to the three PID entrys on the System information screen.

9. Jul 1, 2007 #9 of 61
    George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    My point exactly. I think that since other tuners can tune WTNH just fine that Tivo is hosing us.

10. jcrewdson

jcrewdson New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I have a Samsung HDTV and a Tivo S2. The S2 is between the set-top box and the HDTV. Thus, the signal reaching the HDTV is not an HD signal. When I use the 16:9 aspect the picture is badly distorted like one of those fun-house mirrors. Is there any solution to this problem short of laying out $800 for a Tivo S3?

11. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I think all threads should be titled "Does anyone know?"

12. harley52

harley52 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    I don't know much about OTA but I do understand the pids. So I'm not understanding what you are saying. On the stations you do receive OTA are there pids? On cable there are thre pids: PCR, Audio, and Video. PCR and Video must match or else the channel will not come in.

So if you are telling me that on the stations you do receive OTA you don't have pids then that's a whole different understanding from what I have.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Yeah.....that really narrows down the question/problem.

14. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Such a beast exists? ;)

Seriously, this has been a problem off and on in different locations. The S3 expects the PSIP data transmitted to be correct and doesn't handle missing or incorrect data as well as other tuners.

Technically, the problem is with the TV station, as their PSIP data is messed up. Funtionally, the Tivo should do a better job of handling it, although once you get outside the specs all bets are off.

15. George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    I recieve 5 local stations and they all have PIDS. WTNH is the sixth channel, it comes in at 99-100 on the signal level meter but no picture at all and no PIDS.

16. George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    Your first paragraph, I say, then Tivo should fix their problem. My cheap $199 17 inch LCD tunes WTNH just fine. So do two of my other televisions.

As for your second paragraph, I have not seen anyone prove your point, therefore it seems like speculation. Even crappy TV's can tune WTNH - Tivo should too.

17. George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    We can do without the wise cracks.

18. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I don't think so....they brighten my day [​IMG]

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    There is a problem on both ends, both should "fix" it. Taking a strict view of it, the Tivo is "more" correct, since it is operating do standards.

I haven't seen anyone prove the point with this station - it was well documented a while back on the forums here with a station out in California (Sacramento, I think?).

Have you called Tivo yet? I believe in the case that I was thinking of, they ended up contacting the station and getting them to set things right. It's a heck of a lot easier to get one engineer at one TV station to make a change than it is to roll out a software patch that affects the whole country.

Also, have you checked avsforums? Look in the HDTV reception thread for the area, there's a decent chance that an engineer from the TV station hangs out there (at least that's the case in the Washington DC thread) and may be able to get the problem solved.

20. George Webster

Apr 2, 2003
    << Taking a strict view of it, the Tivo is "more" correct, since it is operating do standards >>

I have read this and other forums a lot. Nowhere do I see proof that Tivo standards make it more correct. To me, that is just a myth perpetuated by people with no proff what the problem really is, including posters parroting that Tivo has trouble tuning stations because it adheres to some mythical standard that remains undefined and the posters really have no clue whether they are correct, they just offer words with no links to prove their words.

<< Have you called Tivo yet? >>

Yes, they say to install a signal booster. I did. It did no good. Signal before the booster was 99-100 but no picture showing.

<< It's a heck of a lot easier to get one engineer at one TV station to make a change than it is to roll out a software patch that affects the whole country >>

It might be a hardware problem, not software.

<< Also, have you checked avsforums? >>

Yes, nobody there really knows anything either. Some people are guessing that it is a Tivo problem and some are guessing it is a station problem. Nobody really has the definitive answer yet. It is very frustrating.

<< Look in the HDTV reception thread for the area, there's a decent chance that an engineer from the TV station hangs out there (at least that's the case in the Washington DC thread) and may be able to get the problem solved >>

If that were true then the problem would already have been fixed. Plenty of people are talking about this problem already, in that forum.