1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does 28 day rule reset after erase and delete?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ahwman, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm new to TiVo and was told that a new TiVo will record all episodes that haven't aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "New" episodes only. Recently I had to do a "Clear and delete everything" on one of my TiVo's to clear up an issue I was having. Dies this reset the 28 day rule?

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    It resets everything and returns all settings to factory defaults. Your Tivo will have no memory or record of any shows, including season passes, IIRC. You have to set everything back up from scratch after doing a C&DE as it gives you a clean slate to work with.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    That's just wrong regarding what the 28 day rule means.
    A new (or post C&DE) TiVo has no recording history and so will record all episodes that have aired in the last 28 days even when season passes are set to record "new" episodes only because "new" means not recorded and <28 days after OAD.

5. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around the 28 day rule in the sense that new to me is "Hasnt aired before". Oh we'll, guess I have to deal with repeats for another month or clean up the dups manually...

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The 28 day rule allows TiVo to record the second or third or forth airing of a program in case of a conflict with the first airing. I don't know of another DVR that can do that.

7. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I hadn't considered that. Definitely a worthy point.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Any PC with Windows Media Center can do it. If there's a conflict or a recording doesn't take place as originally scheduled for some reason, WMC will automatically record the next available airing of that program. I've had recordings that were truncated for some unknown reason and WMC detected that there was a problem and automatically recorded the next showing. I don't believe a Tivo can do that based on the number of posts regarding truncated recordings. Then again, a lot of that has to do with overlap and the way the Tivo functions accordingly. If a show gets preempted by a local sporting event, WMC will record it the next time it airs. Some local channels postpone shows until the weekend because of college basketball games and such and WMC just reschedules the recording with no input from me required. I don't recall ever missing a show due to a conflict or recording snafu with WMC.

9. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    That's a pretty nice feature.

I don't often get truncated recordings, but the TiVo does knows (and mark) that it's a partial; so it would be nice if TiVo took a page from Windows Media Center on this and picked up the next airing. (On the TiVo side that would be as simple as not counting a partial as a duplicate and maybe add some more logic to only do so for a 'true' partial; one that wasn't a result of an overlap clipping)