1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who "The Power of Three" 9/22/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by zordude, Sep 23, 2012.

1. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I thought this was an "ok" episode but I am ready for the Doctor to move on from the Ponds.

I did find it highly amusing that they popped out in the middle of a party they were hosting "for 7 weeks".

Nice tie-in to Lethbridge-Stewart as well.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That character (Kate) has been around, by the way, sort of.

She was featured in a couple of Doctor-Who-without-the-Doctor direct-to-video movies years ago, Downtime and Dæmos Rising. Different actor, too...not exactly a Redgrave back then. In fact, it looks like not only were these movies the peak of her career; they were almost her entire career.

Never seen them. Not entirely sure I want to. :D

3. Linnemir

Linnemir Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I am both amazed and pleased at the continued mentions of the Brig. It's really touching that he's remembered so often and so well. Bringing his daughter in is a great way to continue his (and Nicholas Courtney's) heritage. Can anyone tell me which ep was the Brig's last appearance? I'd love to watch it again!

As to the Ponds - This is also touching, though in a different way. You have to realize that I loved Rory for a wide variety of reasons and will hate to see him fade (Amy got rather abrasive after a while).

I was rather surprised to see that they are calling next week the mid-season finale. By my count, it will be ep4 of the season? Does that mean we're done til the Christmas special then? And what's this Doctor in the US they're advertising for next week? That makes for a very short season, doesn't it??

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Five episodes now, then the Christmas Special, then eight more next year.

So the season is the same length as usual (actually, an hour longer, since last year's Christmas Special was technically part of this season), just arranged differently.

5. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I was highly amused watching this episode on my Boxee Box.

6. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Don't worry, you have a year or so before it'll turn on you.

7. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Depends on how long he's had it! :eek:

8. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart's final appearance in Doctor Who was in TV Short 'Dimensions In Time', his final appearance in a full length episode was in the 1989 story 'Battlefield'. But not Nicholas Courtney's last appearance as the Brig.

His role was reprised in The Sarah Jane Adventures story 'Enemy Of The Bane'.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I rather liked this episode although the resolution seemed more than a bit hurried. Two minutes left, let's blow up the bad guy. I also have no idea what the two guys with the cube mouths were doing.

Amy wasn't nearly as annoying this episode as she has been. I won't miss her when she's gone but Rory's dad is frickin' awesome. It's a shame he'll probably have to disappear once the Ponds move on to their post-Doctor life.

10. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    The doctor should kick the Ponds to the curb and grab Rory's dad.
    Over all Moffatt's run has been disappointing, this saddens me.

11. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
  12. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    If that is your reaction to the episode, I agree.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The River Song story was disappointing?

14. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yup

15. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I've loved pretty much every minute of this era. Rewatching the Tennant era there was a ton of filler and worse.

16. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'll take Moffat over Russell T. Davies every day of the week.

17. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    no but the rest of it has been, for me anyway.

18. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This episode was blah for me.. The plot involving the quiet invasion (or whatever they called it) was weak.

The other half of the episode's plot involving the Rory & Amy discussing whether or not to travel with the Doctor had good intention, but also fell flat to me.

I preferred Russel T. Davies, but after Torchwood: MD I don't want him back.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I prefer Moffat, but it seems this season he's gotten so obsessed with Amy & Rory leaving the show, he's forgotten it's about, y'know, The Doctor.

Hopefully the Back Eight will pick up, with Amy & Rory's Long Goodbye out of the way.

20. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Moffat + next week's episode has me optimistic.