1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor Who - "A Town Called Mercy" (9/15/12)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Sep 15, 2012.

1. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I thought this was a much better episode than last week's. Funny after all the arguing in last week's thread over whether the Doctor kills or not, the next episode brings the question out in the open by having him choose to at first kill then help a war criminal (albeit reformed). Apparently the answer is he will kill, but companions help him keep his moral center. There were no companions around last episode to stop him.

It was nice to see Ben Browder again. He's definitely no stranger to SciFi, but I still never expected to see him on Doctor Who.

2. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    All of the episodes so far this season have left me somewhat flat, and the tension with the Ponds is troubling.

Did the Doctor age 300 years since last season?

3. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I enjoyed this one. Pale Rider + Westworld + A Fistfull of Datas

The dilemma with the "war criminal" was good. What is worse, experimenting and killing 100's or letting many, many thousands die in a protracted war? Wasn't that the rationale behind dropping atomic weapons on Japan, that less died then that would in a ground assault? (and less than the number that died in the fire bombing of Tokyo )

Of course that was the same decision the Doctor and the town had to make. Turn over the guy who saved the town to be killed, the idea that letting one die was better than all of them dying. The doctor at least knew about the war, where until he arrived the town was close to sacrificing him without knowing that.

The moral questions had a Star Trek original series feel to them.

4. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    His older self said he was 1103 in The Impossible Astronaut, so that was his age by the end of last season, so he "only" aged 97 years since last season, that or he was rounding up.

5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Well he wouldn't let the "almost 19" guy round up

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's been aging pretty steadily the past few years. Wasn't he 800-something early in the Davies run? The (rather logical) notion being that we're only getting the highlights.

7. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    From the previews I had expected to dislike this one, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. I felt the writing was simply much better in this episode than in the previous couple of episodes. It was refreshing to see the doctor actually get angry about something rather than "all madcap, all the time".

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I liked that they addressed the moral issue from last episode head on in this one. Amy raises an excellent question: "Since when does killing become an option?" This certainly is a fairly sizable change in the Doctor.

And not even that - him strapping on a gun really surprised me. I know, old west and all, but still, in the past the Doctor wouldn't have even considered wearing it.

I knew Ben Browder was going to be in this episode, but I had forgotten.... so I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why the marshal sounded so familiar.

9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Thanks for mentioning this. The voice I knew, but I really couldn't place his face with that hair and mustache. He might have put on a couple pounds since Stargate also. I meant to check the credits but forgot to.

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Doctor Who and a gun. Not new. He toted guns in the old days. And carried and used weapons from the place and time he was in.

Forget it. Not getting into this argument over what the Doctor has and hasn't done again.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Editing still felt jumpy and the Ponds are a bit off writing wise but well written over all, yes.

12. nirisahn

nirisahn Active Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    And once again, no one knew who the Doctor was. It will be interesting to see where that theme is going.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Would you expect them to in this situation?

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Definitely not the townfolk as Earthlings seldom do unless they are in positions of power in the British Government,
    but it always seems like the alien folk have heard of The Doctor.

phox

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Didn't the Indian/Terran military at the beginning of last week know him?

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes.

17. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    This was a flat episode for me as well. :(

18. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Poor Rory, Mr. Third Wheel:

"Marshall ... ma'am ... fella."

Only two episodes left in the Pond's travels. The title for their last episode looks like it's going to be a good one.

19. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Yeah. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but it just didn't grab me. :(

20. Dawghows

Dawghows Active Member

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    I enjoyed the episode well enough, and I really liked the cyborg, but on the whole I'm not exactly in love with this season. I know Moffat's stated intention was to move away from "complicated" multi-episode story arcs and toward a weekly "blockbuster" stand-alone style for the season, and I can understand that. But so far, though I still enjoy each episode, I miss those overarching storylines. Each week I sortof feel like, "OK, saw that one; what's next?" It's a little disappointing.