1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use the ''Keep Until I Delete'' option?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by steve614, Apr 5, 2014.

Do you use Keep Until I Delete?

1. No, I do not use KUID.

49 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. Yes, but only on one off recordings that I do not want to lose.

101 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Yes, I use KUID for one off recordings AND in my Season Passes and/or Wishlists.

91 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. Apr 5, 2014 #1 of 75
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Poll coming... stemmed from the update thread.

Some comments in the update thread got me to wondering how widespread the use of KUID is.

I think KUID use is in the minority, but I'm willing to concede if I am wrong, hence the poll.

2. Apr 5, 2014 #2 of 75
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Well I don't have a tivo, but can I vote?

Why WOULDN'T you use KUID on a bunch of stuff? Why would you want a new show getting bumped if you let it build up.

3. Apr 5, 2014 #3 of 75
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've never filled my hard drive. So effectively, everything is KUID.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Isn't it old shows that would get bumped?

4. Apr 5, 2014 #4 of 75
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The poll question is kind of vague. I never use KUID when setting up recordings, season passes or wish lists, but I do manually change recording to KUID from time to time after they've been recorded. Usually to remind me I want to save them to my PC.

5. Apr 5, 2014 #5 of 75
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, this is why I think the use of KUID will be in the minority among users here.

Since upgrading the hard drive for more space is so easy, I suspect more people are doing that so they can avoid using KUID.

6. Apr 5, 2014 #6 of 75
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I used to use it allot for the TV shows/series I was saving to watch latter (like in the summer). Now I just auto off load them to my computers instead as I decided not to upgrade the drive in my Roamio. Now I only use it for a few pod cast I want to keep around for awhile. The reality is I have way to many shows saved across all my TiVos & computer and will never end up watching many (most?) of them - I think at this point with what is on my computers and 4 TiVos it is at least 8 TBs of unwatched shows.

7. Apr 5, 2014 #7 of 75
    Sixto

Sixto Member

Sep 16, 2005
    I use it rarely by manually adding it to a recording that I might want to keep forever.

If I had a season pass that I wasn't expecting to watch soon then I might manually just make that season pass KUID, but I would never use it as a default for all season passes, for obvious reasons.

8. Apr 5, 2014 #8 of 75
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I use this on shows I want to make sure I watch when setting up the season pass. It's much less of an issue now with the Roamio Pro.

9. Apr 5, 2014 #9 of 75
    BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    I have used it, but only very rarely so I voted no. If there's something I really want to keep I prefer to pull it off the TiVo to my media server where I can serve it up later over pyTivo.

10. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    The issue in the other thread was the complaint that the new default recording options didn't include KUID. For that option to make any sense it would require someone to setup more than 50% of their season passes or manual recordings as KUID.

The issue is not if you use it, the issue is if you use it the majority of the time.

11. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    Well the poll is whether or not you use it, I just read the release notes thread talking about KUID. So if the author of the poll wanted to qualify the poll isn't obvious immediately.

12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it depends on the recording - if i'm recording a movie from hbo or sho, i always use kuid, because i might watch it again. same with any weekly serial show, i want it to stay until it's watched. if it's a daily news or a game show, no way.

bottom line, if tivo didn't behave wierdly (with a filling hard disk when using kuid on a majority of sp's), i'd probably use kuid a lot more.

13. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The post in the update thread implied KUID is the default setting used by everyone - i.e. All or most season passes. An option not given in this poll. Though I don't need a poll to know that plain just cannot be the case.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have in the past on one off recordings, but not in a long time. With 3TB I've never even got close to 100%, so there is no chance of losing anything.

15. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I take it you don't have teenagers in the house.... my 2 week old Roamio Pro is at 92% and my 2TB S3 was always maxed out..... hence all "my" recordings (SP & WL) were set to KUID, a must for the King of the house (ok, the serf, but i like to humor myself) :p

16. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I use KUID for one of two purposes: to insure something won't get bumped someday if I fill the drive, or to make a show I have watched but am saving for my husband to watch later.

17. djev

djev New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I use KUID for almost everything. Exceptions would be GMA, old repeats of Criminal Minds and NCIS. I always have the last two because I fall asleep and STAY asleep better to something I already know inside and out but they creep up into the 100's before you know it!

18. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Whenever the option is offered I select Keep Until I Delete. As is the case with most others, I don't have a space issue.

19. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    See, this is what I don't understand. If you don't have any space issues, why set that? The only reason to set it is if you're short on space and are worried about it getting deleted to make room for new recordings.

20. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I take a different approach to this topic by setting the SP of all of my favorite shows to KUID then each Sunday I adjust the keep-until date of the current episode I'm watching to Thursday next week so the green dot changes to no dot and prevents it from turning yellow until next Monday.

This way, by starting at the bottom of the My Shows list sorted chronologically with Groups off, I can see at a glance which episodes I've already begun watching (no dot), those that are ready to watch (green dot), and those that are low-priority KUSN shows (yellow dot). By the time I get around to watching newly recorded low-priority shows that appear at the top of the list with no dot, they have already changed to a yellow dot.

This method has worked for me since my first Series2 TiVo in 2004. Yes, TiVo is a religious experience for me.