1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use standby mode?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by scandia101, Aug 17, 2013.

Do you use standby mode on your Tivo(s) on a regular basis?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. No

73 vote(s)
    74.5%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Poll Fail

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Do you use standby mode on your Tivo(s) on a regular basis?

poll coming

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    For years I didn't. Now I watch(and archive) so much recorded stuff, it bothers me when recordings are spoiled by the EAS messages.

So now I try to be more religious in using standby. But probably the only reason I do it is because I have a Harmony remote with a dedicated button for Standby. I'm sure I would rarely use Standby if I had to always do it through the menu.

3. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    +1

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Yeah, I've been using it since 2001 every night. There probably isn't any reason behind it, but I like to see the LEDs turn off. I have always used custom remotes (first Philips Prontos and now my own home-brew creation) so it's mostly just a personal preference.

I have one button labeled System Off that sends out about 14 different IR commands. One click, the room goes dark, and it's off to bed.

There are still a lot of good reasons to use Standby like EAS alerts, but without a Harmony or some other customizable remote I probably wouldn't bother.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No on the two (THD and Series 2) I don't really control. One Premiere is rarely out of standby as I don't directly access it much. I put the other Premiere in standby when I am not using it.

Purpose: EAS avoidance.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't use it. I'm OTA only and EAS messages are only once a month, and usually have already happened before prime time hits so my recordings are mostly unaffected.
    I also use a universal remote which could easily be programmed with the stand by code, I just don't bother.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So this EAS thing, does standby just prevent a forced channel change if you're recording something and is that true for both digital OTA and digital cable?

Also (though I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this one), if the actual digital channel you're recording sends out an EAS (I can tell I'm old, keep wanting to call it EBS) alert, there's no way for being in standby to filter it out, right?

Anybody remember radio sets with the CONELRAD symbols on the dial?

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Where do you live where you see more than like three EAS messages a year?

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Multiple "required monthly test"s in the same month. Several instances of a test every 5 minutes for more than an hour.

Even one is annoying if occurs at the wrong time. At this point, it is just programmed into me to do TiVo button, channel down, select, channel down, select.

10. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    For me, in Las Vegas, I see more than three per WEEK. Most are tests, but every time there is a chance of rain, they issue flash flood watches. If rain falls, then they become warnings, if it becomes a thunderstorm it's flash flood and severe weather warnings, repeated at 4 minute intervals, until the weather has left the entire southern half of Nevada.

11. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    It was MY idea to have a poll, in this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507342

However, I thought about how little many people know about the standby function, and felt that ANY poll should somehow list all that it has to offer, and give the poll takers a question like:

If you didn't know all this, would you try standby, or begin using it?

Unfortunately, I retired for the night, and this is what I woke up to find what had transpired. I thought adding the desired parameters could wait eight hours...

Poll results can be slanted depending on what is asked and how it is asked (as well as what is not asked). I see a rebuttal poll in the future. The person I suggested the poll to didn't set this one up. Somebody who doesn't like what I have to say, and pulls no punches, took the liberty of setting this up.

I'll figure out how to set up a poll, give this one some time, and then try my best approach at it.

Region of country, cable provider, and how much of a hassle the EAS tests/alerts are, varies. I'd also expect clusters of people in regions, like mine, where the EAS actual messages, repeating every four minutes, just because there is a thunderstorm in the southern half of the state, to be denser in YES answers.

Hopefully I'll come up with a poll that helps differentiate those who know what standby does, and choose not to use it, and those who have no idea, so they don't use it.

It's not like the TiVo manuals shed any light on the MANY things it has to offer. I find that pathetic (on TiVo's part), since it's been integrated into generations of TiVo past, and is still around.

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Does it use an occupied channel?

Yes. I also remember the nationwide CONELRAD test,even though I was only 5 at the time. Don't recall if it was 640 or 1240 to which we tuned our radio.

13. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    While I really wanted to vote "Poll Fail", I voted for YES, just for the record.

14. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    +1

However, I use the menus for it. One of these days I'll splurge on the right remote and do it your way.

15. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The issue was the necessity of the feature, not if people might use it if they knew it even existed. If people don't know that it exists and they're getting by just fine without it or do know about it and don't use it, standby mode is not a must have feature.

How can my poll be slanted? it simply asks if it is used or not. It doesn't even seem to show the results I would have expected. I would have expected a lot more of the tcf tech savvy people to be using it to avoid the EAS issue.

ETA:
    on second thought, maybe the <20% that use standby is greatly inflated by the fact that so many people here are of the tech savvy variety

16. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I won't even dignify that with a response.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Thank you.

18. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I am not sure what issue the EAS warning are creating for you. And I suppose that is the point...

I don't remember the last EAS message I saw and I certainly don't know what putting my TiVo in sleep mode would "protect" me from.

So, this may really be a local / regional problem.

Probably the reason for the results of your poll...

19. nooneuknow

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    If you are replying to me, it's not my poll. Somebody who doesn't like me jumped on the opportunity when I presented the idea to yet another person who gave a blanket statement of the standby mode being only for a niche market. I suggested they shouldn't speak for all of us and maybe a poll was in order.

I'm seeing way too much lean here on only one factor: EAS.

In the thread the poll was suggested in, which I provided a link for in a prior post here, you can find about a dozen reasons you may want to give standby a try.

Yes, the EAS matter is more a problem in some markets/regions than others. It's a pretty well-known fact of life.

Hell I'll just transfer it over here, as best I can, since it's a bit splintered, as even I missed some useful things standby can do:

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I was not responding to you - you're not worth my time.