1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think this is a CableCard or Roamio issue?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dana278, Sep 3, 2013.

1. dana278

dana278 New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    To be honest, I'm new to digital cable, so I'm not completely familiar with how CableCards work. I've only had it for a few weeks, and I specifically signed up because of the Roamio.

I had a tech come out and give me a card for my old TiVo so I'd have it when I finally got my new Tivo in, that way I could just call and pair and wouldn't have to wait for a tech at that time. Anyways, the card didn't give me any problems in an old HD unit the whole time I had it in there.

So then I called to pair it with the Roamio this past Friday and everything was great for 24 hours, that's when I lost my channels for the first time. As with everything (computers, phone, etc) I tried restarting the TiVo first and they came back and everything was fine. Since Saturday afternoon I've lost them a total of five times, three times I had to restart, but twice the channels came back on their own after I received this message on my screen:

CableCard Error: A technical problem is preventing you from receiving all cable services at this time. Please call your cable operator and report error code 161-17.

I'm going to call and have a tech come out later this week, but should I prepare myself for this being a TiVo issue? I'd like to figure it out ASAP because I purchased it from Best Buy and their return policy is only 15 days. As I said before, I'm new to CableCards so I don't know if they "go bad" after being swapped out.

Thanks for any advice!

2. jodell

jodell TiVo geek

Jul 9, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    I suggest calling the number you called to have the cable card paired and asking them to un-pair it and then re-pair the Tivo and Cable Card.

Jeff

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    i think the error u are getting is indicating an issue with the cablecard. i would definately call the cable company, let them know of the error code, and possibly ask them to re-bind the card and all.

4. dana278

dana278 New Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I said this in another post, but my cable company is really small and there are only a few people in the office I can even talk to about these things. A few know what they are doing, and a few don't know anything. I'd rather take my chances with a tech bringing me a new one, to be honest. I went through quite the ordeal on Friday trying to find someone to even pair it for me 2 hours before the holiday weekend began.

I contacted TiVo support via the chat and obviously they said it's a CableCard issue, which I'm sure it is, I'm just a little cautious because the Roamio is so new and all. The fact that the channels come back after a restart is what's confusing me. I'd almost rather they didn't!

5. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    When the tech came out to give you your card did he check your lines to make sure you had a good signal to the Tivo?