1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you recommend buying an UPS for Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bcfedee, Mar 28, 2014.

1. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    What are your feelings on the desirability of an UPS for Tivo? If I get one I'm going to spring for the one with filtration from Panamax. Not a small expense. But I'm not convinced I really need one. I've got Tivo hooked up to good filtration and surge protection all ready. So the only thing I'd add would defense against losing a show in mid record. But If I'm recording a cable show, they are usually replayed soon after as a rerun.

What do you guys thing? Good way to save money by not getting one or a necessity with a new Tivo Roamio?

The UPS won't run my TV (too much amps needed). So I wouldn't be able to watch Tivo during an outage. the UPS would only be protection from Tivo having to reboot after outage and from losing part of the show it's recording when outage occurs.

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I have a UPS that both my TV and TiVo are connected too, and it can handle the amperage of both just fine.

Last time we lost power, nobody even noticed for several minutes.

3. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    do you have LCD? I'm still using a CRT for the black levels :_)

CRT uses lots more power, unfortunately.

4. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    I would only do this if my local power were prone to spikes which might damage my Tivo. And even then a UPS is really overkill, some surge protection stuff would be all I’d probably go for.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I use an APC 500 UA with battery backup to protect on power problems. Possibilities are spikes, brownouts, blackouts, switchovers. Switchovers are when they switch the power lines to another source and the power interrupts for a few seconds. It would interrupt a Tivo which would restart itself and last from 3-5 minutes.

6. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    I believe in them, I have had a Tivo since 2005 and never yet (knock on wood) had a problem. Power goes out in my house and the house is full of chirping alarms!

7. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    If you don't lose power very often you probably don't need one, if you are subject to power outages with quick on and off cycles you do. Those quick cycles can take their toll on hard drives over time and since that is where your recordings are stored, better safe than sorry.

8. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'd recommend a UPS for any home entertainment device or PC, especially if you live in an area that's prone to frequent brownouts or power spikes. This tends to happen most often during the summer months when the power grid gets loaded down due to high use of air conditioners.

A UPS that regulates and filters the power along with surge protection will provide the best protection and longevity for your Tivo. Clean regulated power will keep your electronics happy and stress-free. I've always been of the mindset that dirty power and frequent spikes are the root cause of so many Tivo power supply failures (i.e., blown capacitors).

9. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good UPS that's under a $100 and also has the ability to silence any alarms. One of these will be in a bedroom and I want to be able to set it so it doesn't make any noise. THX

10. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Look at the Cyberpower brand - they have silenceable alarms for less than the competition. Go to http://cyberpower.advizia.com/CyberPower/?v41=CyberPower_UPS and near the bottom of the left hand column select "Alarm can be silenced on the UPS"

I tend to buy at least a 650 VA UPS, but there are cheaper, smaller ones

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
  12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Use a plazma....I get better black levels with my plazma than I did with my CRT. Yeah it uses more power than an LCD but less than a CRT.

13. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I was going to get a plasma this year, 2014. But with the news from panasonic I decided to not buy one. I'm hopeful for an OLED in the next few years.

Only reason I'll be able to buy new Tivo is cause I'm holding out on new TV :)

14. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    There are LCDs with great black levels, but they use full-array LED backlighting instead of the much more common, and much less expensive, edge-lit. The full-array Samsung I have has literally inky blacks.

They're probably still less expensive than OLEDs will be for some time, and the Samsung at least has a better picture than the Philips plasma I used to have.

As for the OP's question, I recommend a UPS on anything with a hard drive.:)

15. bcfedee

bcfedee New Member

Mar 28, 2014
    The APC 600UPS is under $100 and can silence the alarm. But to silence the alarm you have to install their software and connect the UPS to your computer. I installed the software on an old Windows computer I have. It has worked great so far for what I use it for. Hate the alarms. I don't buy UPS if it can't silence the alarm.

16. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    Many years ago we had the Dtivo, and for some reason the power went on and off rapidly causing several reboots in a row, 3 of our 4 Dtivo were OK but the 4th did not survive, the software was corrupted. I had a backup image and it was not a problem restoring it and getting DTV to reset it, but it took time. After that I hooked up a UPS and never had a problem since, if the lights flicker the Tivo keeps going. The batteries do go bad in a UPS and I had to change a couple over the years. I don't worry about having a UPS that goes a long time, I just want protection from the short flickering type power outages that are enough to cause a reboot - I have our CCTV DVR on a ups as well as our OOMA phone etc. for the same reason.

17. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    A UPS is a luxury rather than any sort of necessity for a Tivo.

If you want one then get one. But as far as any really rational reason to get one I'm not seeing it.

18. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    You can turn the warning buzzer off on any UPS. Either thru software or by breaking the buzzer itself. I had to break the buzzer on one of mine.

19. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Now that I have installed a whole house generator I might move one of my computer UPS's to the Tivo. The back up generator takes 30 seconds to come on line so I dont need three UPS's any more.

20. javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    What news from Panasonic?

BTW, I have a Panny plasma and I absolutely love it. And I've always been very picky about picture quality and color balance.