1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you plan on buying a TiVo Mini at launch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jfh3, Mar 6, 2013.

Do you plan to buy a TiVo Mini at launch?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2013.
  1. Yes - I plan to buy one Mini

    53 vote(s)
  2. Yes - I plan to buy two or more

    13 vote(s)
  3. Maybe, but I will not be an early adopter

    47 vote(s)
  4. No, I have no plans for a Mini

    41 vote(s)
  5. Undecided

    9 vote(s)
  1. jfh3

    jfh3 New Member

    Apr 15, 2004
    Do you plan to buy the TiVo Mini at launch or shortly thereafter?
  2. magnus

    magnus Tivo User

    Nov 12, 2004
    I'll be waiting to see what features I will get for the $250. At this point... I'm not sold that there is enough value for what I want.
  3. jfh3

    jfh3 New Member

    Apr 15, 2004
    What is it that you want?
  4. waynomo

    waynomo My One Time TC Club

    Nov 9, 2002
    I didn't realize it was going to be $250. Too bad I can't change my vote.

    UCLABB Active Member

    May 29, 2012
    The mini is coming out just as I need more boxes because we are losing channels with straight cable to TV. so I am buying a mini and xl4 to go along with our existing Premiere.
  6. BigJimOutlaw

    BigJimOutlaw Active Member

    Mar 21, 2004
    I'll get one upon Best Buy availability, as I have some gift cards that will bring it under $200. Otherwise I would've waited.
  7. Dan203

    Dan203 Super Moderator TC Club

    Apr 17, 2000
    I normally am all over new stuff like this, but my cable company is holding me back on this one. I still have some channels in my area that are broadcast in analog only, so even though I have an Elite I'm forced to hold on to a standard Premiere just so I can record those analog stations. As soon as they switch to all digital I'll be able to dump the Premiere and get a Mini instead. 4 tuners is enough for me, so the ONLY reason I need the Premiere right now is those stupid analog stations.

    That being said if TiVo releases a 6 tuner unit I'll probably buy one anyway just so I can go nuts with the padding and never have to worry about a conflict again. :)
  8. moyekj

    moyekj Active Member

    Jan 23, 2006
    $250 is about $50 higher than I would like but I'm not going to sweat that and since I have the required 4 tuner host already I probably will be picking one up pretty early barring any disastrous feedback. Plan to use it as a front end to eliminate need to use sluggish Elite directly and plan on allocating 0 tuners to the Mini since I don't need live TV for that location.
  9. atmuscarella

    atmuscarella Active Member

    Oct 11, 2005
    Well given that I am OTA only and it will not work without having a Cable only TiVo 4/XL DVR I will not be buying one.
  10. NotNowChief

    NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

    Mar 29, 2012
    I have been waiting for this to put in my kitchen, and I voted yes, but I am just becoming so aggravated that this thing is not on sale yet that i am beginnning to not want one out of spite.
  11. slowbiscuit

    slowbiscuit FUBAR

    Sep 19, 2006
    At $250? No, I'll wait for the inevitable sale, refurb, or secondhand units. Won't jump until it's $200 or less.
  12. Time_Lord

    Time_Lord New Member

    Jun 4, 2012
    If my total cost to add a mini (including service in the mini) was less than $150 I would very seriously consider jumping at it.

    The only advantage I get from the mini that I don't get from my providers (FiOS) box is the ability to watch shows I recorded on the TiVo.

    So my two choices for the mini (unless TiVo changes their pricing) are spend $150 on the mini and $6 per month, or $250 total cost one time on the mini.


    spend $6 per month for a box rental from Verizon.

    The break even point in the mini (with life time service) is almost 4 years, I don't see the advantage of a mini.

  13. aaronwt

    aaronwt UHD Addict

    Jan 31, 2002
    I plan on getting a Mini at launch so I can replace the Premiere in my bedroom. I will turn in that cable card to save $4 a month off my FioS bill. The Premiere will move into my main viewing area, where my Elite is, and will become an OTA only box. I also use this box to take with me to my GFs house so we can watch shows. It's been a PITA to connect and disconnect it from the bedroom. In my main viewing area I will have easy access to the back of it.
  14. aaronwt

    aaronwt UHD Addict

    Jan 31, 2002
    The price of the Mini is supposed to be $100. Lifetime is supposed to be $150 or a $6 monthly charge.
  15. innocentfreak

    innocentfreak New Member

    Aug 25, 2001
    No. I have no use for one at my house anymore.

    I will eventually pick up one for my parents house once the next 4-6 tuner TiVo model comes out.
  16. Time_Lord

    Time_Lord New Member

    Jun 4, 2012
    Sorry I was on the train heading into work when I wrote that and swapped the amounts, either way the purchase price of the mini along with lifetime service is still $250 and my monthly cost of a box from Verizon is $6 per month, the break even point stays the same at almost 4 years, and there is no break even when paying a monthly service fee. *PLUS* you loose a tuner on your 4/4XL

    The reason I would purchase a mini would be for $$ savings and since I don't think it brings that much to the table to justify the premium price I will not be buying one.

  17. compnurd

    compnurd New Member

    Oct 6, 2011
    I think once the dynamic tuner thing is worked out these things will fly like hotcakes

    I will pick up 3 at that point. Have one P4 for the main room, a P2 for the bedroom and a mini for the kids rooms and office.
  18. mr_smits

    mr_smits New Member

    Dec 17, 2009

    I will buy 2 Minis: when dynamic tuning is available and either a a new Tivo is released (with OTA) or when / if 2-tuner Premiere support is supported.
  19. jcthorne

    jcthorne Active Member

    Jan 28, 2002
    As it does not support OTA, its of no use to me in its current form. Its a CATV only device.
  20. Loach

    Loach New Member

    Jan 11, 2013
    Undecided. I likely will eventually own 1 to 3 of these things, but the timing might depend on deals. If there's a compelling discounted bundle at launch, I will jump. If not, I'm not in a huge hurry.

Share This Page