1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we really need the HD interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by plazman30, Nov 10, 2010.

1. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Is there anybody else besides me that would be more than happy with a high resolution version of the SD interface?

The HD interface is nice and all, but I don't see what it buys you over the SD interface.

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I don't need my flat screen HDTV either, but I like it better than my old SD crt.

Our society and out economy are based on growth, improvement, and obsolescence. The new Tivo needs to be "better" than the old one, otherwise people won't upgrade to it or they'll buy the competitor's DVR that is perceived to be better.

Does Windows 7 do really do anything more than Vista? Did Vista do anything more than XP? Did XP do anything more than ME? I'm pretty much doing the same thing with my computer now that I was doing a decade ago. If the interface looked the same, would I have upgraded? Sometimes the purpose of a new product is merely to cause the obsolescence of the old one.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The SD interface is fine as it is for me. I try and minimize time spent in interface anyway so as long as it's functional and fast when I need it that's all that matters. HDUI the way it is I would never want to use it even if it were as fast as the SDUI (which it is not by a long shot). Hopefully TiVo won't waste time getting more Premiere screens looking and behaving like the current HDUI abomination.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes. Absolutely. Affirmative. Yep. Definitely.

5. uf20wop

uf20wop New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    i would agree

if the SD interface was just rendered in HD it would be great

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    To some extent it depends on why you have a TiVo and what you do with it. For me I have a TiVo to use it to time shift TV and rarely for anything else. For me the UI needs to work and be as fast and easy to use as possible what it looks like is of no concern to me at all - so I have no issues with what the "Old" IU on my TiVos looks like.

Thanks,

7. HockeyFan

HockeyFan Guest

Oct 9, 2010
    Yes! Tivo should remove the sd interface in next update. Why waste the extra space on the drive.:)

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Technically it isn't wasting extra space since the space is already pre-allocated for the OS so it can't be used for anything else anyways.

9. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    The SD interface is very nice in it's simplicity. Give it some smooth HD fonts, maybe a small graphic here or there with the logo of the network, and I'd be quite happy. I think where Tivo needs to differentiate itself from the competition is the inclusion of things like Amazon VOD, Netflix, and Hulu Plus. The cable/sattelite DVRs will never offer those features, because it competes with their on-demand offering.

Tivo to go is also a pretty big selling point. TO be able to copy shows down to a portable device or laptop to watch on the train is something no other DVR has that I know of.

10. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I have a TivoHD and not a Premiere but I just love Tivo Search on the TivoHD. It is painfully slow but there's so much information on there. I mostly use it for the episode guides when I'm missing a show and want to check if it's on in the next 2 weeks or just trying to catch up on a show that's in repeats or on cable. It certainly beats the old way of checking my computer and epguides.com and then searching if that show is on in the next 2 weeks or even using a wishlist. Tivo search does all that for you in one place plus you can watch it on netflix if it's available right from there. No need to add to queue on your computer.

So, basically, if the HD interface on the Premiere is like Tivo Search Beta on the TivoHD, then I think it's far superior to the SD interface. Now if it freezes or doesn't work properly that's another story.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The difference is with S3 series it's an HME application so you can choose to use it only when you want/need enhanced search capabilities. On Premiere with HDUI you are perpetually stuck with the slow interface even though you may not need the enhanced capabilities it offers and if you switch to SDUI mode you don't have option to use the HME version as you can with S3 series (which would be a very easy thing for TiVo to add if they wanted to). The problem is at this point if TiVo does abandon HDUI on Premiere then it's just a THD with slightly better hardware which hardly makes for good marketing.
    Personally I like the SDUI but would like option to use enhanced search once in a while, and the TiVo Search Beta works fine for that, so why not just add TiVo Search Beta to the list of HME apps on the Premiere for those that do use the SDUI? That change does not even require a software update of any kind on Premiere units.

So ironically with current status quo I'm ironically using my S3 for enhanced search capabilities instead of Premiere unit...

12. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Now I know why every time anyone brings up a "new" idea they get bashed to he$$ on this forum.

Other things TiVo forum members think are "just fine" or "I'd be happy with"...

Wired remotes......never replace batteries/save money/can't loose them
    Wired phones
    SD TV... it works/most people can't tell the difference/thinner
    VCR's --- 8 hours is plenty/you don't have monthly fees/take the tapes with you
    Dial up-- cheaper/use other "wired" phones/portable
    Horse and Buggy--- no gas/slower and safer/ you make a friend with the horse

I guess you can have reasons for ANY old tech being "fine"

Maybe we should blame TiVo for allowing a ten year old SDUI to continue without ANY significant updates. Or release a new HD UI that isn't NEAR finished after nine months.

I think TiVo thinks the same way. Might explain why they are disappearing, a little every day.......

13. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    So why do you care what a UI looks like beyond the need for it to be readable? I care about how it works. I have no need for TiVo to change the way their UI looks. If people are calling for better function I am with you if you just want an eye candy UI I could care less and would prefer TiVo spend time and money on something else.

Thanks,

14. digammatoo

digammatoo New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    AMEN. As long as my TiVo records programs, makes suggestions and keeps me up to my eyeballs in my favorite programs without having to constantly watch TV, I am tickled pink :)

15. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    My Apple IIc had ASCII command line on a green tint screen.

It worked. I think this "windows" and that "mouse" thing are just wasted processor cycles. Just think how much faster Applesoft would work on todays hardware. That's all that REALLY matters, anyway. Speed and it works!!

That whole more than one color thing is just "eye candy".

More importantly TiVo doesn't NEED a new UI. The current UI is the main reason TiVo is so successful. How else could TiVo have 4 million, I mean 3.5 million, I mean 2 million.....subscribers.

Why update things that work. And the TiVo SD UI is a BIG reason why TiVo is where it IS today. Dying.

If only the OTHER 300 million Americans understood why the 10 year old SD UI was so great like the 15 people do from this forum.

16. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    First they need to get HDUI to work. How can you use if it does not work. For a lot of us the HDUI is to slow and freezes to much to be used. I have in the SDUI mode.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you bought a TiVo or any DVR to look at the UI I guess what you said makes some form of sense - personally I bought a TiVo to time shift TV. All I want the UI to do is to allow me to complete that task as simple and easily as possible. Tivos old "ugly" UI works better than the UI on my TV, Blu-ray player, receiver and pretty much anything else I have owned. I am sure there must be away to make it work better - but I can assure you it isn't by worrying about how it looks at the cost of function which is exactly what appears to have happened with the redesigned HD UI.

I find no reason to change things that work unless I am sure the change will make it work better - I learned a long time ago that change for the sake of change mostly is designed to get me to give my money to someone else for no really good reason. Which is of course what TiVo is trying to get people to do.

thanks,

18. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Are you insane?

If they removed the SD interface, I would sell the Premiere immediately and tell everyone I know to never EVER consider TiVo again.

It would be the most disastrous move they could possibly make at this point.

19. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    *WRONG*

The user interface has absolutely NOTHING to do with why TiVo is dying. They are dying because of competition from cable companies who can offer a box that:

1) Does much of the same stuff as the TiVo
    2) Has ZERO up-front cost to the customer
    3) Has a monthly cost that is about the same as the TiVo
    4) Provides replacement equipment at ZERO cost
    5) Has local service centers so you can replace your box the same day
    6) Has much better cablecard support with no tuner adapter needed
    7) Needs no service calls to install cards and TA's and etc
    8) Supports all the VOD the cable company offers
    9) Supports all the PPV the cable company offers
    10) Provides updated equipment at no cost

Those are the reasons TiVo is dying. It is because they have real competition now with really compelling reasons to not go with TiVo. For TiVo to survive in this environment, they need to put out a box that is faster, bigger storage, more reliable, and has TONS more compelling features. This is not happening....

20. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    Number 2 is correct but number 3 is incorrect. I came from Dish Network because I was tired of paying so much monthly costs for missed or partial recordings. The longer I keep my TiVo, the less my monthly and yearly costs will be.