1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do some Comcast markets only support 2 tuners with an M-Card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DJQuad, Dec 28, 2012.

1. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey all, I got a Premiere 4 to replace my Premiere so I can record 4 shows at once instead of 2. I have an M-card which should support it based on all the research I've done including tickets with both Comcast and TiVo.

I won't bore you with the details of the long drawn-out dialogs with both, but in a nutshell, Comcast claims they re-paired to support 4 tuners, and TiVo said they didn't based on a support doc they sent.

I believe the latter. A Comcast rep came out today and said in my area, M-Tuners only support 2 tuners. TiVo support said they have never heard of such a thing - that "quad tuning being supported by Comcast in one area and not the other. That's just simply not true."

I'm in northern Indiana. Have any of you had issues in your area with Comcast only supporting 2 tuners with an M-Card?

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What happens when you try to access the other two tuners?

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have the 4 tuner elite and have Comcast. I can record 4 different programs at once. Comcast in your area is telling you BS.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have Comcast and a TP4,no problems using 4 tuners.

5. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They aren't available when I try to manually record 4 different channels. According to TiVo it hasn't been re-paired after Comcast said they did. I guess I'll try Comcast again.

6. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    M-Cards support up to 6 Tuners/Streams

7. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I know the M-Cards themselves can support over 2, but TiVo has never heard of a market that only support 2. Probably because it's BS.. heh

8. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yes you got someone who has no clue what they are talking about... which is 95% of employees who work for cable companies

9. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
  10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You might try removing CableCARD, rerunning guided setup and scanning for clear QAM channels and see if you can access all 4 tuners.

This just makes sense whatsoever. I don't see how they could limit an m-card to 2 streams although I do see the following line on my 2-tuner Premier's "DVR Diagnostics":

Code:
    Decrypt RecordChannels         2 ( 1 0 )
    What do you see on the DVR diagnostics and System Information pages?

From where did you acquire this Premiere 4?

11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That would prove that your TiVo can receive 4 channels at the same time, and Comcast would play no part in this. Also make sure that you have a 4 tuner Series 4 as some people can get confused about a TiVo premiere series 4 and a TiVo Premiere 4, give us the first 3 digits of the TiVo TSN, and get that TSN from the system info screen.

12. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
  13. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A small update from my trials and tribulations with this issue (heh) -

Calling the activation number seemed to help a bit. By seemed I mean at least someone from Comcast didn't sound utterly clueless when I explained the situation. They said it would take about an hour to re-pair it, so I suppose I'll have another update soon.. :)

I'm not sure if this is related, but since Comcast said they paired it a few days ago (and since the Cablecard was put into my new TiVo), I lost a lot of channels from around 150 and up. They said that would be fixed too. We'll see. :)

14. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If Comcast does not fix this problem, do what post 10 said, and please give us the first 3 digits of your TSN.

15. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Last night I called TiVo support who did a call to Comcast. Comcast said they re-paired it (again) and TiVo said to powercyle it after an hour.

Didn't help.

I removed the card, reran guided setup, but when trying a channel scan it wasn't available for my current setup.

Decrypt RecordChannels is 4 ( 2 3 0 1 )

The first 3 numbers of my TSN is 750.

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    When you reran guided setup, did you say that you would install the CableCARD later? If you did, that might prevent you from doing the channel scan. If you didn't, I am at a loss.

17. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nope I put it back in when the setup said to do so.

TiVo thinks the card is defective so I'll be getting a new one and see how that goes. :|

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Before you put the card back in, did it give you the opportunity to run a channel scan? You cannot run a cable channel scan with a CableCARD installed.

19. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nope not that I saw.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, if you're looking for something to try, remove the CableCARD, don't redo guided setup, and see if it will let you do a channel scan.