1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DO NOT DELETE "THX OPTIMIZER" video!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 59
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I was just informed that if you delete the THX OPTIMIZER video from your TiVo Premier Elite that you can't get it back, short of exchanging your TiVo.

I set up my elite on an older TV set. I deleted the video because it took up space & cluttered up my TV "My Shows" listing.

Today I got a new TV set. Wanted to "Optimize" it with the included glasses.

No luck... Video is Not available short of replacing the unit.

No where in the box, or on the box, or on any support pages (at the time of this posting) was any notification about deleting that video.

I have written a few emails to TiVo in regards this...

Thought I would give you all a FYI...

TGC

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 59
    TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    to the moderator... We need to make a sticky of this thread, or you can create one.

Owners of the new ELITE unit, need to be aware NOT to delete the THX Optimizer video in case they ever want to get a new TV screen, or put their TiVo Elite on a different TV set.

3. Nov 3, 2011 #3 of 59
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, I deleted mine too. I was pretty pissed at myself when I realized there was no way to undelete it.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #4 of 59
    gamo62

gamo62 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Was this available on the PremiereXL? I have tried transferring it to the computer. Even though it is supposedly not copy protected, it fails. I can't transfer it from the Elite.

There should be a way to write protect that file.

5. Nov 3, 2011 #5 of 59
    TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I don't know it was on the XML or not

I tried before I deleted it to transfer it to another computer or TiVo

Tgc

6. Nov 3, 2011 #6 of 59
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    While I agree that it's not cool that there's no way to get it back I think the statement above is a bit over the top, it's not that you can't EVER get a new TV or move the DVR, it's just that one of many options to calibrate it is no longer at hand.

7. Nov 3, 2011 #7 of 59
    I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    I am unable to transfer the THX video from my Premier XL to my Premier.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 59
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I agree. It's simply common sense that once you delete something, it's gone.

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 59
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Didn't people go through the same thing with the S3 box or at least the Premiere XL box? I thought this was the case with all the THX certified TiVos that had the optimizer?

10. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    My S3's did not contain and optimizer vid.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I couldn't remember if they did or not. Then it was just the premiere XL boxes.

12. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    So are you saying that Elite owners SHOULDN'T be alerted or notified of this issue?

TGC

13. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Thats not always true.

If I delete TiVo Desktop + from my computer, I can re download the program from TiVo.com & reinstall it.

If I delete music I purchased from iTunes, I can also re download it.

If I puchase music or movies or books from Amazon, I can re download it even if I delete it off my computer, or Amazon fire, or Kindle, etc....

If I delete a show I downloaded via a podcast/internet. I can redownload it.

Etc...

The list can go on....

TGC

14. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm saying in many cases and for many people it's NBD, and certainly not ALL CAPS STICKY WORTHY, in my personal opinion.

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The real question is, if you delete a show from your TiVo, can you re-download it? The answer has always been no.

16. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If not, then I think the warning is warranted.

Having said that, a lot of DVD's have a THX optimizer (who doesn't have Star Wars on DVD?:p;)), what's wrong with just using that?

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's a DVD first of all, so that would be SD which is different settings than HD. Secondly you want the setting adjusted for the specific input device. So it needs to be output from that device.

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Also one should note that a C&D all will remove the THX video from your XL TiVo, and i know no way to get it back on that TiVo, so if you purchase a upgrade/replacement drive you will not have that THX video. I keep the original hard drive of my TPXL, if my 2TB drive ever failed, I can remake another 2Tb drive and have the THX video on the new drive.

19. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Again it depends on what show your talking about, and how it got put on your TiVo in the first place as well as if the show was copy protected or not.
    Many shows that I have "Recorded" that aren't copy protected I moved to My NAS. Then deleted. If I want to watch it again, I transfer it from my NAS back to the TiVo.

Short of copy protection, about 95% of the shows that are on our TiVo's can be obtained & put back on our TiVo's, or watched from our TiVo's in one fashion or the other. Maybe not "immediately" but given a little time, eventually. None of which require exchanging your TiVo.

You also have the "deleted" folder, which you can Undelete shows you have deleted. Provided that you haven't recorded to much between the time you delete and the time you wish to recover.

TGC

20. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Oh I have several good Blu-ray optimizer discs All work great.

Here is a fact though. Each input, each device has different "levels" of output and quality to the TV.

My TV actually has a different colour, Brightness, contrast etc... setting for EACH input the TV has. So EACH input can be set differently. Both my old TV and my new TV had this.

There WAS a big difference in those settings between the use of my Blu-ray player, and those that I had set for the TiVo Elite. As well as for the XBox 360, and other devices that I have as well.

So having a Blu-ray THX opitmizer disc is great, but only really works on setting the correct levels for the Blu-ray.

I do have the capability to rip Blu-rays, & in the mean time I have, and then transfered the video to my Elite and then made the apropriate corrections. However, in this ripping, coversion & transfer process. Quality was lost & changed. It apparently isn't possible to transfer the original Blu-ray file with 100% quality intact to the TiVo, either with TD+ or PyTiVo. Somewhere something is getting obviously changed.

I will admit it is better than nothing, but it isn't the ideal solution. I DO feel that I AM loosing functionality of my TiVo Elite that I did PAY for. I am not unable to optimize my TV for the TiVo Elite using the included glasses.

BTW the transfer of the Blu-ray Rip, doesn't make use of the glasses, so isn't as accurate as well.

For those elite owners who want and desire the best settings possible, then we have lost this featue in our Elite units if we have deleted it. OR in the least, we have to keep it around, taking up space on our hard drives, so that we don't really get the maxiumum recording space we should have, and it clutters up our "My Shows" list.

I will admit, if your hooking up an elite to a 32" $200 LCD TV, the optimizer probably isn't going to do you much good. However, I am hooking my Elite up to a 70" $6,000 LED TV. So YES it does make a difference.

TGC