1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do non-Netflix apps crash Roamios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Keen, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    I see that there are still issues with the Netflix app crashing Roamios. Since I bought a Tivo to be a reliable tool for recording TV shows, this means I can't use the Netflix app. I'm curious if the crashes occur with the other Roamio applications. Especially Spotify's and Amazon's apps.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've only had Netflix crash my Roamio once and I use it all the time. I'm not sure why some people have problems and some don't, but I wouldn't just assume you'll have a problem just because there are people on this forum who do.

As for the other apps... Amazon can't crash the TiVo as it's an HME app, which means the actual app runs on a server and just sends the UI elements to the TiVo. (kind of like a remote desktop session on a PC) Spotify is a Flash based app so I guess it could. I don't know I've never used it myself.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Agreed, not everyone has Netflix issues. I've used Netflix a crazy amount last few weeks with my Roamio Pro and get SuperHD 1080p/24 quality every time and no reboots. There are people in these forums reporting quality and reboot issues, but I wouldn't assume that you will too based on that. I don't think there is any conclusive cause for the reported Netflix reboots either. I've heard network glitches may cause issues but I even tried pulling network cable while streaming Netflix and wasn't able to cause a reboot, so good luck to TiVo/Netflix people in charge of trying to fix reported issues since it doesn't sound like an easy thing to reproduce on the fly.

4. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    I would think that intermittent problems and constant packet loss would probably be more likely to cause a crash than simply losing the network link entirely all at once.

5. Keen

Keen Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm not looking to discuss the Netflix crashes, there's plenty of threads you can discuss them in. I'm looking to learn if other apps can also cause Roamios to crash.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think I've ever seen a report of another app causing the entire TiVo to crash. I believe Netflix is unique in that ability.

7. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Pandora was causing reboots:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507984

There was a fix in an update.

I'm a little shocked that Tivo hasn't been able to code the Roamio to protect itself from bad apps. I mean c'mon....it's 2014, when's the last time an app brought down an entire OS?

-Kevin

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My iPad rebooted the other day for no apparent reason. It's a brand new iPad Air running the latest iOS7.

Most of the apps on TiVo are being converted to HTML5 which will then run inside the Opera browser, so they should not be capable of crashing the entire machine. But right now there is still a mix of really old HME apps, the AdobeAir apps and the new HTML5 apps. The Netflix app is unique in that it doesn't appear to be AdobeAir nor is it HTML5. It's apparently a native app with low level access to the system, which is why it's able to crash the entire OS.

Although like I said I've only ever seen it do that once and I use the Netflix app a LOT.

9. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    That's a half-assed OS bringing itself down :p:D

Trust me, I've had plenty iOS7 reboots....but mostly they are springboard restarts, not the whole OS.

I really hope Tivo can re-code to make the core DVR functionality and core OS stand up to these apps......another app shouldn't ever bring down an entire OS.

-Kevin