1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Minis support 3D?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by crwalter2003, Nov 22, 2013.

1. crwalter2003

crwalter2003 New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Waldorf, Md
    In the comparisons of the Roamio series Tivos, they mention that 3D is supported.

With the mini, I cannot find any mention anywhere, either way. :mad:

Is 3D supported on the Mini?

I would like to eliminate the noisy fan in my bedroom... my current HD XL has a fan that from time to time starts making noise, and if I can eliminate the full Tivo, no fan to start making noise.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The Mini is just streaming content from the host box so I would guess that whatever content is supported on the host, the Mini can display.

The bigger question is, are there still 3D broadcasts being supported? :rolleyes:

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    3D broadcasts are just a trick and can be supported by any device that can record/play the broadcast. They just split the screen and squeeze the left and right images side by side or top/bottom. The TV then splits them apart and stretches them back to full screen.

The only 3D format that needs support is the type used for BluRays, called MVC, where they actually use a special extension to the H.264 codec to encode separate full resolution frames for each eye. The only streaming service I know of that uses MVC is VUDU and TiVo doesn't currently have an app for that so I'm not sure if TiVo supports it.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, when FiOS still had the ESPN 3D channel, I had no issues viewing it from the Mini I have connected to a 3D LCD TV.