1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I HAVE to use a cable card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lyriclisa, Mar 13, 2013.

1. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Just bought a Premiere XL off ebay, and thinking about what I need to do to get it set up when it arrives.

I have a cable box on my TV that I don't have any other use for (included in my cable package) - can I connect this to the Tivo, or do I need to get a cable card?

2. ybtrue

ybtrue Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Central Florida
    You need a cable card to authorize the Tivo to receive the cable channels.

3. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Ok - thanks!!!

4. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Depending on your provider you can *probably* return their cable box, get a new CableCARD for your TiVo, and perhaps even get a slight "customer owned equipment" discount.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You do not need a cable card to make manual recordings if you get clear QAM channels. All cable is local. I used my Premiere for a month before getting the card. I did need the authorization to get a guide and allow it to function. Careful when deciding to return your old STB. If your service was part of a "package", they may revert to "a la carte" pricing. Check with your provider. Some charge for the card and some let you buy it from eBay and some give you one for free. Some will let you install it and some charge for the visit. All cable is local (I said that).

Without the card you will get frequent messages that the channel is not on your guide. That's very nasty and why I have a cable card. Good luck.

6. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No they don't.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Who is "they"?

I also didn't mention TWC and SDV tuning adapters.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless you can provide specific, documented examples, I am going to continue to believe that no cable provider allows you to buy a cable card off of ebay and activate it.

I am also going to continue to believe that it is a violation of FCC regulations for them to charge you more to use your own equipment in lieu of theirs. In point of fact, they are required to give you a discount.

Finally, I know for a fact that they must allow you to self-install a CableCARD in a TiVo and cannot require a charged visit by a technician.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    ok

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While most notably neither Verizon FIOS no Comcast uses SDV, TWC is hardly the only one that does.

11. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    When I activated my second TiVo I for a time did not have a cable card or tuning adapter. The QAM channels came in fine and I didn't receive any messages re:guide info. When I did add the second cable card running adapter, they shipped a self install kit, no problem with that, the tuning adapter was DOA out of the box. That was 4 months ago.

Intially Jan 2012 when I swtiched to TWC It took 7 months to get the first one working and somewhat stable. I've been though a total of 4 tuning adapters in 15 months. Had a new line pulled from the box outside to my wall. Initially they kept blaming TiVo and it always proved to be aTWC issue. Even had their system corrupt the pairing in their office. It took them a truck roll to figure out their MAC pairing was fubar.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You will need to go to tivo.com, set up an account, and add the TiVo to it. If it has Product Lifetime Service (PLS), you will have no additional charges. Otherwise, there will be a $14.99/mo charge for service.

After you have it physically setup (connecting it to the Cable and/or Antenna, Internet, TV and optionally to your sound system) you will need to run Guided Setup to configure it and get your local scheduling information.

You may have to get the CableCARD "paired" to the TiVo, but since you are doing locals only, it may not actually be necessary. One of my Premieres still does not have its CableCARD paired and I can access every channel with no problem. I have Comcast's "Digital Starter" package which is far more than locals, just no premium channels.

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Your first and 3rd paragraph are correct, I don't know about the 2nd, as with my plan I get a HD small cable box "free", I asked if the box could be turned in for a cable card, the answer was no! I don't use the cable box but because Comcast is only charging me $1.15/month for each of four cable cards I am not going to press the issue (no A/O charge, the line for the A/O charge came off the bill last month, before that the A/O charge was $0).

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah, if I had that deal, I wouldn't complain either.

15. chiguy50

chiguy50 Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Just for s@#ts and giggles, could you let us know your zip code and what sort of subscription package you have with Comcast?

I would like to figure out whether there is some magical formula for avoiding the dreaded $10 "TiVo Penalty Fee." Maybe it has to do with your tier of service or bundle package or total monthly fee amount?

16. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Speaking from a service operator standpoint, they will not activate CableCARDs purchased by customers regardless of where it was purchased, even if in the unlikely event of it being purchased from the manufacturer of the CableCARD itself. Each card is registered by serial number and MAC address to a specific provider location for logistics and theft prevention. This is the same reason why one cannot relocate to another area within the same service provider area (such as from Comcast in New Jersey to Comcast in New England) with the same card even if transferring service. Upon activating a CableCARD to pair with equipment, the service provider requests the serial number and CableCARD ID number which is checked against authorized registered cards in their system. If the information is not given the green light (not registered with them) or a red flag has been put on the information (registered as stolen from either another service provider or region) certain steps are then put into motion. This is the exact same scenario when it comes to digital set top equipment as the majority of equipment found on Craigslist and eBay are more then likely stolen, and could very likely put the person who purchases these items in legal trouble under "possession of stolen goods" and since the equipment is considered communication equipment with FCC part 15 class A digital device, there could be federal trouble.