1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to power down when removing/addding FIOS m-card?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kevreh, Jan 17, 2013.

1. kevreh

kevreh Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    Title says it all, need to move it to new box, just wondering.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    No.

3. kevreh

kevreh Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    Thanks!

4. mae

mae member

Dec 10, 2001
    USA
    Remember that HBO, CINEMAX and channel 131 require the card to be paired, which will be have to be done if the card is moved. If you don't care about those channels, it isn't a priority. You should probably do it at some point in case they begin to apply copy protection to other channels.

Your choices for doing it are on line, on the phone, or by a DM to @VZSUPPORT on Twitter.

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I was told by a high level Comcast tech (could be bull I know ) that after 30 or so days a non paired cable card will shut down, the reason for this is because Comcast (or other cable co.s) does not want someone to order a full boat of service, than put in a frequency block so that the head end can't talk back to the cable card, then you could cancel all your premium channels (after inserting the block) and the cable card would not know about it. Comcast can't talk to a non paired cable card as the head end does not know the pairing information.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Comcast can't talk to a CableCard at all. They are one way. The CableCard gets authorization from the headend. If it can't talk to the headend, it won't work.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If the cable card is only one way and not talking back to the headend I would like to know how the headend knows what I want to watch using On Demand, and how the headend knows when I press the pause/play button.
    Also when the pairing starts I see, for example, the VAL code go from a ? to a V, so something came back to the cable card.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Try disconnecting the internet from the TiVo and see if that still works.

I don't have on demand through TiVo, so I don't know if they actually wrote in two-way code for that feature, but since the TiVo has no cable modem in it, I don't see how that can possibly work. The xfinity stuff is probably using the internet connection or at the very least the tuning adapter (which does have a cable modem in it) to talk to the headend.

Any reason you bolded every instance of headend?

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The internet has nothing to do with ON Demand (That the first thing I did) but you do need a free tuner, if you have a TP and are recording on both tuners you can't use On Demand. I don't think that TiVos have a full cable modem built in for the back channel using the cable itself..

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Ok, but on a regular Premiere for the 99% of us that don't live someplace that TiVo made a deal for On Demand stuff, the cablecard is a one-way device. Whatever modifications they made for xfinity or whatever don't apply to most users.

11. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    The request for a movie goes over the internet connection, the movie comes in over the cable.

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That not true on my Comcast system in CT, at least not on the RJ45 connection to the Internet as I can pull that connection off and still get On Demand.
    The cable cards have some two way capabilities as incoming signal can set the card up and the cable co will know if the card is in your TiVo, as I had a problem once and pulled the card as I was on the phone with the Comcast CSR, he knew when I pulled the card out of the TiVo and when I put it back in. I do know the card does say one way but I don't know what that means. I never tried to order a movie from Comcast so that may take the Internet to do, but On Demand does not.

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Do you use a tuning adapter? If so, what happens if you unplug that and try to use On Demand?

14. Larry M

Larry M New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Central...
    Cable cards are 2 way capable, but TiVo's are not. Any request has to be over the internet.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I do not have or need the tuning adapter..yet.

16. steverm2

steverm2 New Member

May 9, 2005
    cape cod,ma
    Speaking of cable cards.I have two premieres with comcast cable cards.one of the cards according to my local office,which called me(if you can believe it.benefit of small town liife).one of my cards is
    Being pirated for ppv movies.$40+woorth so far.it it happening on one card only.i was told it was a national problem and it was being worked on.i am being credited for the charges.i swapped for a new card today so we'll see.has anyone experienced this?check your bills .
    I
    T

17. steverm2

steverm2 New Member

May 9, 2005
    cape cod,ma
    And no,i did not have to power down to switch cards.