1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to have a Tivo annual contract for a new Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by grey ghost, Mar 11, 2013.

1. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I won a new HD Tivo a couple of years ago and it's still in the box. I've never initiated service for it. I'm thinking of giving it to my sister who is fed up with her Comcast DVR, but who might switch to AT&T Uverse in less than a year.
    I know that Uverse is not Tivo friendly.

My question is does she have to agree to a year's contract or can she do a month by month without a contract?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Which model Tivo is it?

If its a Premiere, any premiere, 14.99/month
    Older models ie: Series 3 or Series 2, 12.95/month

I don't think they offer yearly Service any more, unless you call.

3. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The box says it's a Tivo HD, so that's what I'm calling it. As I said in my earlier post, it's older model

You misunderstood my question. I was not asking is there was a yearly price(vs. a monthly or lifetime price). I was asking if you have to sign a 12 month contract paid monthly. From what I've read, after your initial 12 months is up you can pay on a monthly basis without the contract. I was wondering if I could pay monthly without a contract since the box was so old.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All I can say is, a Tivo requires a sub of some type, whether monthly, yearly or lifetime. You can perhaps get a contract-less sub by calling Tivo.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    My initial response would be no because they don't require any minimum term of service for older models, but considering that yours has never had a subscription, Tivo may require a contract. I doubt it, but it is possible. I'd recommend calling them and asking, but you really can't depend on what their CSR's say.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    not even remotely new information for the OP.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you've recently acquired a new (some sort of Series 4) TiVo yourself, call them up and see if you can get the $99 lifetime subscription deal on it that so many other S3 and S3 HD owners have gotten when buying S4s (you might have to keep calling 'til you get a customer service rep who'll do it for you, that's why we call it CSR roulette), and then you can give it to her and she can change the account over to her name (or you can leave it in your name and make an open-ended loan) and lifetime sub means it'll still have some resale value a year or so from now.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure older (pre-S4) models are sub-able on a month-to-month no obligation basis these days.

8. sevenx7

sevenx7 New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I attempted to sub my old Humax Dvd-r unit and it came up as a 14.99 Year contract or 399.99 lifetime. Only options that came up. I should try again later today and see if its the same.
    but when i tried it it came up with a contract,and this things super old!