1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLNA on Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by bobdole888, Mar 23, 2013.

1. bobdole888

bobdole888 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Is Tivo supporting DLNA?

I noticed that at the bootom of 'my shows', I can see my windows PC that's sharing a video folder. I can see *.flv files and transfer them for viewing almost instantly.
    Is this something Tivo support natively? I didn't think Tivo can play *.flv files.

Is anyone else getting this?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    What are you using to share the folder?

3. mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
    I'm not seeing this and I run a DLNA server at home. Would also be interested in what you're using to share from the PC.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    To answer his question, "no", TiVo does not support DLNA.

So the fact that it is showing is due to something else- like PyTiVo or TiVo desktop or something. "flv" files are a container that I doubt the TiVo can play, so this is further evidence that a transcoding service is running on his machine.

5. bobdole888

bobdole888 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I tried py tivo and have stream baby.

I think what I'm seeing must be from py tivo. When I tried it a while ago, I had to get on the PC and select the files that I want to transfer to Tivo for viewing.
    I thought it was too much of pain to have to initiate transfer through PC.

So since then I moved to stream baby. Stream baby works very well, I can watch shared content without having to transfer from PC.
    The only problem is if the file is bigger than 1.1G then it doesn't work well.
    The other negative is that stream baby has slightly different interface as Tivo playback.

I didn't think I was runing py tivo anymore, but somehow it seems to have done something on my Tivo, so it's automatically showing the my shared folder on Tivo. This seems a lot more acceptable, since now I can pick items to watch from tivo instead of from PC.

I think I'll still continue to use stream baby for smaller files, but use py tivo if I know the file is bigger than 1.1G.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    That is not the way PyTiVo works. With PyTiVo, you select what you want to watch from the TiVo and pull it from the computer. You cannot "push" to the TiVo with PyTiVo.

Sounds like you have remnants of PyTiVo and/or Streambaby still running on your computer.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Uh...

Not sure if serious. Yes, you can push. The OP's problem is that he thought he could only push. Both modes are of course available, and TiVo-originated transfers are pyTivo's original function -- it was never true that you had to start them from the computer. How people get that impression, I don't know.

8. bobdole888

bobdole888 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    You are correct. I thought that contents had to be pushed from PC because when I install py tivo on my PC, it asked me what I wanted to push to tivo.
    After I pushed to tivo, I went to tivo and only saw the content that I pushed, but not the share folder. So I never knew I can pull content from tivo.
    Somehow py tivo started working properly and now I can see the shared folder.

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Really? I had no idea I could initiate a transfer from the computer using PyTiVo. Maybe it was added later and I didn't know it?? Maybe I just don't remember, since I don't have any interest in doing that?

I see no computer PyTiVo user interface other than the limited web:9032 stuff. Although this thread does have useful info: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-457227.html Sounds like this "push" stuff is not actually part of PyTiVo?

10. bobdole888

bobdole888 New Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Mystery solved.

According to the pytivo install instruction:
    14. Enjoy. You may also wish to add photo and music shares. It may be necessary to restart your TiVo unit for these shares to appear in your TiVo menus.

I must not have rebooted until recently, and then the pytivo menu now appears after the reboot.

In the installing instruction there's quite a section that shows the push to tivo feature.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Windows_Install

Instruction also talked about the pull feature, which is actually pulling content out of tivo to PC. There was almost no hint of pytivo being able to play from shared folder. The only hint was that line 14 instruction. All that it said was that you can share photos and music...that's why I had no clue that tivo can play shared folder via pytivo.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Glad to see I was right...

Actually no. THIS is what I see:

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Linux_Install

Your link is specific to MS-Windows. You will note that what I read, there is no mention about "push" functionality at all. And on my localhost:9032 there are no menu entries for "Pull from TiVo's" nor "Push from video shares" only "Web Configuration". Perhaps it has all just been well hidden from me :)

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You have to put in your tivo_username and tivo_password, since Push works via mind.tivo.com.

I'm really surprised if it says you should reboot; that's not true at all. (I don't pay much attention to the wiki, alas.) Anyway, yes, push is certainly part of pyTivo, and has been for many years.