1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Certification

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JACKASTOR, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    I was wondering if the Premiere will ever get Divx support... specifically playability?

Any one with more information would love to hear.

Regards

Jack

2. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    No need to apologize, Divx has some amazing features and the quality behind some Divx conversion and size makes it worth while to pursue.
    OF course that all depends on the demands of the Tivo Users I would imagine. But the flexibility it would be bring Tivo Would surely help boost sales.

regards

Jack

3. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    dOnE!

Come on guys lets get Divx support on our TiVos

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    1. Divx is crap.
    2. You can play Divx files through your TiVo if you convert them to a TiVo-playable format first. pyTivo will do the conversion automatically as it transfers. I imagine TiVo Desktop Plus will also do it.

5. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    ACtually your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong you are. Using substandard programs such as pyTivo are the crap programs. But thats my opinion.
    Thanks for your suggestion even though its flawed.

6. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I agree Divx is crap also

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I thought Divx was dead (no offense).

What advantage does it have over another format like H.264?

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Oh, it needs to be said- pytivo rocks. I have never seen anyone diss it before.

9. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Divx is inferior to more modern codecs(such as h.264), with regard to the average file-size-to-image-quality ratio of conversions. It does have the advantage of being less-resource intensive to encode and decode than other, more advanced, codecs. It was popular for file-trading but its popularity is waning fast, in large part because many newer devices have the power (or dedicated hardware) to decode h.264 without using much cpu time and/or battery life.

If you have a large library of existing content in divx format, the suggestion to use pytivo (or even TiVo Desktop) is a good one. You'll be able to view the content on the TiVo, as you desire, and the original files will remain untouched. If you feel the software is substandard, please suggest (or make) improvements, as it is a community-driven project and people improve or modify it as they see fit. If you're having trouble getting started with it, please ask for help in the Home Media Features forum, and you'll find lots of people willing to help you get it fixed.

10. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Pytivo is great (I use it all the time), if you can get over the hurdles of installing "this" version of "this", "that" version of "that", but definitely not "those" versions, as well as parsing through some partially outdated, semi-complicated instructions, and manually modifying setup files... all making it a bit of a tangled barrier of entry. But if you manage to get it running, it's good stuff.

If a single unified installer updated periodically could be made to remove the "this, that and those" and manual steps, that would be a gallon of awesomesauce.