1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish DVR Adds Ad-Zapper

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by moyekj, May 11, 2012.

1. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Why so many restrictions?

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    So they don't get sued out of existence as happened to ReplayTV?
    Next day availability only would be fine with me as I rarely watch shows the same day they are recorded anyway.

4. Joe3

Joe3 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Think legal bribes, lobbying and lawyers from Cable and Broadcasters.

Now, think of Michael's kiss to Faredo.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think it is also limited to locals because it uses that prime time anytime feature.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    And they charge a lot for the privilege, $99 up front and an extra monthly charge over a normal DVR. (A normal DVR has no up front cost). Personally i would not pay that much as I like the exercise for my finger skipping the comerciales.

7. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    :confused:

The hopper is free for new customers.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This feature makes sense to me. If the next day viewing isn't counted in the ratings (are DVRs even counted?), then one shouldn't have to be subjected to commercials that are out of date. Commercials were meant to be seen the day they air. The next day, they have "expired".

I would be all for TiVo creating an automatic commercial skip feature and would be fine with the next day limitation. However, I don't think it will ever happen because they wouldn't want to upset (possible future) advertisers. Plus I don't think CableLabs would like it either.

According to TiVoMargret,

Maybe we can persuade the engineers to make a secret backdoor code to automatically skip commercials (one can hope). :D

9. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Seem to me that if I were ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX I would cut the feed to Dish until Dish drop this, but I don’t run a TV network. :rolleyes:

@ Steve614, what were you quoteing from TiVoMargret?. :confused:

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How do satellite companies actually provide "locals" anyway?

VHF/UHF antenna on the same mast as the dish?

Network feeds over the satellite that aren't really the local affiliates, but just the network stuff which is sent to them?

Uplinks of feeds from the locals, with the local news and weather and commercials and everything, sent back down from the satellite?

11. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Why? They most likely are on board with the plan.

They already broadcast most of their shows commercial free via on-demand and Hulu. They also are available on Amazon.

For all we know, Dish might even be paying for the feature.

You're confusing 'locals' with over the air. All of the companies provide local channels, and yes they really are the local affiliates.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't have a citation at the moment, but nowadays I believe they count viewing up to a week later.. Maybe that is a "separate" ratings (there definitely are e.g. overnight ratings and weekly ratings, that can and do differ).

14. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, another reason for the restrictions could be quite simple - it isn't automated! Someone at Dish is probably cuing up and marking commercials and sending the data to the box (hence the extra fees). It would take around a day for a few people to do this for the prime-time shows on all the networks.

if it was automated, there's a good chance the networks would simply find ways to trick it so it would ad-skip through important parts, not ad skip the ads, etc., enough to make it a useless feature.

And networks only because they are "must carry" stations and don't get paid for it. The other cable channels, Dish pays for the privilege of offering them, and if this was happening, those channels will probably up the rate Dish has to pay out. But since Dish is obligated to carry the networks (in exchange, the networks are paid nothing for carriage), they're free to do whatever they want.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Next day viewing is counted in the ratings. They count all the way out to a week later for DVR viewing. They have Live+same day, Live+1 day out to Live+7 day viewing that is counted in the final ratings. Although it takes a few weeks until the final ratings with DVR usage gets released.

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Local programming is uplinked to satellite (not necessarily the same satellite as the "cable" channels). In a few markets the "local" programming received via satellite may be LA or NYC network affiliate programming. If you take a satellite receiver programmed for one location to a new location you'll receive the locals for the original location.

17. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Im pretty sure they can adjust the power and geographical attributes of a particular beam from the satellite, spot beam.

18. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So in other words it comes in to the satellite dish on your house from the same tranmitting satellite(s) as the "satellite" channels?

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    No, if they aren't available over the air in my area, then they aren't "local".

That doesn't mean I have to get them over the air. In our case we get them via analog cable (at least for now, all though I'm sure TWC is working on how to break as much of my receiving equipment as possible to try to force us to rent something from them).

20. Adam1115

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Define the delivery of the exact same channel that is delivered OTA however you want I guess, but don't confuse everyone else.

They are locals. And like Andyw715 said, they are delivered via a spot beam only beamed to your local area, so no it's not the same signal as the rest of your channels. But who cares.