1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - Word is the sale is coming back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! It will be announced today that the PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)."

Discrete codes....

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by ptruman, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    I've found a discrepancy - which I hope can be cured :)

The TiVo S1 has the option to manually put the box in standby, via the remote (in the same menu as resetting the box). The VM TiVo does not have this option.

With my Pronto remote (which cannot track state) I used to have a macro which used the keystrokes to put the S1 into standby, so even though it may turn it "on" via the "TiVo" key at the start of the sequence, the end of the sequence ensured it stayed off.

I have mapped my Pronto to have the VM TiVo power key available, but it's "on/off", not "on" or "off" specifically....i.e. a discrete code.

Can anyone shed light on if there is one? I don't want to go through codes one by one to try and see if it's there....

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    I wouldn't have thought so as it's not designed like that. To be honest, I can't see any problem as the "long way" of putting the S1 into standby was completely superfluous anyway.

3. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    Actually, if you use HDMI switching, with multiple devices to one TV (or surround) input, it's quite handy to ensure it's off... :p

Nearly all new devices (esp. anything vaguely expensive) have discrete codes....my (aged) surround system and my S1 were the only ones that didn't - and I could ensure no SCART stupidity/crosstalk by ensuring it was off.

4. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    This may not work but Home switches it on, so you could send Home+Power would amount to off.

5. ptruman

ptruman New Member

Jan 8, 2003
    That is actually a blindingly obvious solution (which is what my old macro did, in a more roundabout way!)

This is what I get for long days @ work - thankyou muchly Mr Hoyle :)

<gets hat and coat>

6. andrewilley

andrewilley New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Sadly, they seem to have broken this on the latest Virgin UK firmware upgrade which we got yesterday. Now sending the 'TV' or 'Home' code and then shortly afterwards the 'Power' code does not work, as the new HDD power-up sequence now takes about 10 seconds, during which time the unit does not respond to the followup 'Power' code to turn it back off... :(

Any other ideas folks, as the TV/Power trick had been working flawlessly for me for a year or more.

Why is it always one step forward, but break something else, with Virgin?

Andre

7. andrewilley

andrewilley New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but have simple discrete infrared codes for 'power on' and 'power off' been added as yet? Would be extremely useful for universal remote users.

Andre