1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointing TIVO Tech Support and attitude

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lreinstein, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have to say I am very very disappointed with the TIVO support and advice I was givens his week.

As a result of incorrect initial advice from clearly inexperienced Level 1 support, my TIVO HD is now stuck in a "guided setup" mode which always leads to the S03 error. I also followed subsequent advice from more experienced support people and did everything including the kickstart 57. But by then it was too late.

What really disappoints me (I have been a satisfied TIVO customer for 15 plus years) is that nobody at the company seems to feel any obligation to make any concessions towards fixing the situation. The only thing that makes sense to me now is for me to upgrade to the latest TIVO Roamio and move put this all behinds me (despite the fact that we have lost many hours of HD recordings). And, to my surprise TIVO is not willing to give me any credit or price considerations towards this! All they are willing to do is give me an exchange for an older model TiVo premiere at a price that is higher than I can purchase it on the internet.

Disappointing TiVo!:(

2. cram501

cram501 Member

Oct 22, 2002
    What was the original problem?
    Is your Tivo HD working?
    What advice did Tivo gave you that was incorrect and caused a problem?

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    No way could this be the fault of the CSR. Whatever the hardware problem is, it would have bitten you regardless. If you would like help fixing it, just ask.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The rep certainly didn't cause your TiVo to be stuck in Guided Setup. However, if you made it that far, it is unlikely it is not fixable.

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Oh yay! Another "Tivo owes me something" thread. Haven't seen one of these in a few weeks.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
  7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Don't know why you end your rant by saying that you are disappointing tivo.

8. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    because Tivo likes it better when customers only say nice things about them.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Oh well, it's a day for being disappointed. Harry Reid was very disappointed with John Boehner today, too. :) In case you're wondering, the reason you're getting few sympathetic responses here is that your original post is mostly a rant at TiVo and is short of technical details that would help others help you. You do realize this Forum has no formal connection with Tivo, correct?

10. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I did not realize I would be under attack. Oh well. The 3rd Tivo support person told me that the earlier one made a mistake ... i will try to find the words in the support dialog. I did not make this up.

And yes I would appreciate help. Is there any way that this can be fixed? I did not mean to piss anyone off here.

Otherwise, I will probably just junk it an buy a new one. (I hated losing all the recordings though).

---

For the skeptical ... this is what the 3rd support person wrote.:

Hello Larry,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your questions today.

We certainly do apologize that you are having issues with your TiVo box downloading the Guide Information. From what I can see from the last agent it looks like they had you repeat the Guided Setup on the TiVo box when you are getting an S03 error on your TiVo box. That was misinformation and we certainly do apologize about that. If you did so, this will get you stuck in the Guide Information screen which you may have already experienced at this point. Although you are in an area that the lineup did change we would need to resolve the issues that you are having first before changing to that new lineup. What we would like you to do at this point is unplug the TiVo box from any sort of network connection that you have on the TiVo box for 48 hours. Hopefully this will clear that error and download the information to the TiVo box. If you continue to have issues, please contact us again.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    From what I found that will eventually fix the problem. Forcing a kickstart as I mentioned above can help speed it along. (although not always)

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If you can select an OTA (antenna input) only option in guided setup, try that. I seem to remember that working in this situation and it is better than waiting 48 hours. Then you go back and select the lineup you really want.

There is at least one thread, active recently, on this very problem. Try searching around for it. In general, you will get much better help on this forum than from Tivo support.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The OP is correct.

He/she should have been told in no uncertain terms to avoid Guided Setup like the plague while there was anything wrong, because the only way out is through to the end, and if anything isn't working properly the only way out is to re-image the drive and lose all recordings.

14. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    thanks
    i am already adjusted to the idea of losing everything.

Is re-imaging the drive something I can do? is it easy?

I have already put in an order for the Roamio but would like to fix this to give it to one of my children or sell.

Larry

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    To some people it's child's play. To others, it may as well be trying to figure out how to send a man to Alpha Centauri and back.

16. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Where do I find instructions to do this?

Thanks

Larry

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Since you've been pointed to my images, I guess I'm kind of obligated to step in.

Your TiVo is a TCD652160, correct?

Still running the original hard drive?

What was the original problem with the TiVo that caused you to call TiVo, Inc. in the first place?

If we can get you out of this without having to take the lid off, I'd prefer to do it that way for now.

But in case it's necessary, do you have a #10 Torx bit or driver? How about a #8?

If you're going to continue to own a Series 2 or Series 3 TiVo, you need to familiarize yourself with "capacitor plague", a problem from which their power supplies have a high likelyhood of suffering.

If it's not a problem for your TiVo currently, it may very well be in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

There are several threads here at TCF which discuss this problem in TiVo-specific terms as well.

If you know by which end to hold a soldering iron, you can probably fix it for $10 in parts.

You may currently have no power supply problem, but it's a good idea to specifically rule it out since it can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

If we can't avoid having to re-image the drive, you'll have to open the TiVo anyway and hook the drive to a PC, or maybe on of those Intel-based Macs (Macs are not my area of expertise), but you'll need advice and cautions and warnings before doing so.

18. lreinstein

lreinstein Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Thanks folks, unitron...

My HD Series 3 has its original disk ... never opened up.

Symptoms were that it stopped being able to download new program materials. It was coincidental to my local cable company (TWC) radically changing their channel lineup and I probably wrongly assumed the 2 events were connected.

Then I noticed that the attempted download was ending in an "S03 Error".

Based on advice from technical support (after attempting to fix by re-booting several times) I was asked to do the following:

Kickstart 54: Result was everything normal

Guided setup: problem remained ... error S03 on attempt to download

(this was a bad move because now stuck in guided setup mode forever).

Kickstart 57: Result ... message screen error S03. "you are screwed".

So that is where it is now. Meanwhile I am NOT very handy (I used to be back in my Ham Radio/experimental physics days), so I ordered a new Tivo Roamio.

And now I would like to sell my "Handyman Special" Tivo HD with Lifetime Contract AND the 500GB expansion drive. Do you think there will be any takers who are handy enough to get this working?

thanks again

Larry

19. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    WAIT- you never said anything about a 500 GB expansion drive. Is it still connected? Have you removed it in your attempts to resolve the issue?

Those are always one of the primary points of investigations. First try with a known good cable then try and see if it boots with the drive removed.

on other option- buy a used box and plop the drive in. Lifetime is attached to the motherboard, so this would work just fine after a clear and delete function.

Though, its a great opportunity to upgrade!