1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Dirty Jobs" canceled

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Nov 21, 2012.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    For those still interested in the show, "Dirty Jobs" is officially canceled. Mike Rowe just confirmed it in an article on HuffPoTV.

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I stopped watching about a season ago. Unfortunately they just ran out of real dirty jobs...IMHO

3. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Mike Rowe had a guest shot on Tim Allen's new sitcom. I thought he was good in a scripted show. Hope we haven't seen the last of him.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think you're right. It was getting to the point where some of the jobs weren't dirty... they were just hard, or unusual, or dangerous, but not all that dirty.

ETA: "Dangerous Jobs" would be an interesting offshoot series, albeit a short-run one. It could feature jobs like the bridge climbers, super high antenna tower workers, high rise building signage installers, etc. Some of these were done on the show, while I imagine other jobs like this might not be able to have a non-trained individual do them just because of how dangerous they are.

5. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I suspect he is bringing in some significant cash from his Ford commercials. ;)

6. kaszeta

kaszeta Ceci n'est pas une conserve TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    World's Toughest Fixes was somewhat like this.

As far a Dirty Jobs? I think it ran its course. (It was fun when they came to the local brewery....)

7. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    My favorite episode still has to be the one where he was capturing all the snakes. They weren't poisonous but they still hurt like hell. His reactions were awesome.

8. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I'll miss seeing Mike Rowe. He's always been kind of inspiring to me. He's got a great attitude. If there's ever been a guy who could stay positive even in the worst of situations it's him.

9. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    The $10,000,000 per year helps.

10. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Wouldn't help me. There's no amount of money I'd take to do his job. :D

11. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Wonder if we'll see him on one of the shows he narrates now... it's why he's only the narrator - Discovery only let him host ONE show. But he can narrate more.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not true. He hosted "After the Catch," and I believe he was on very early episodes of "Deadliest Catch" before they switched over to narration only.

13. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    a graceful exit blog. I'll miss watching Mike and Dirty Jobs, but yes, I agree it had run its course.

14. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    It's...
    He's a talented acting singing voice-ing hosting guy plus easy on the eyes :D
    Hope he stays visible on my TV!

15. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    What made DJ interesting was his interaction with the locals, and also his crew, I will miss him lovingly making fun of Barskey and the others.

16. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I recall thinking during the Australian episodes, that Mike seemed a bit "over it" and it occurred to me then that maybe he was just getting burned out. I mean that's gotta be a pretty uncomfortable life. You're never home for one thing... I wonder if they sensed it at the Network? Maybe it was semi-mutual?

I'm still kind of depressed though. The end of another "used to be my favorite" show. Unfortunately most of my faves are all getting too long in the tooth and I haven't found much to replace them yet... so it feels all the worse. :p