1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv TivoHD - menu topic: music, photo and showcase...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ccchuck, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ccchuck

ccchuck New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    When I select this item I get only showcases - this machine is networked (yes I know it can't do some things a genie can, I have a genie on the same network), since it specifically names music I was hoping that it too could see my NAS music server as do my genie and her minnies.

Should I have an Extras menu item on the tivo?

2. NGeorge

NGeorge New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Not that I know of... I have my THR-22 sitting right next to a Premiere in the living room since I get free lifeline basic Comcast with rent (I decided to keep it active since I get neighboring locals, CBC and all the local subchannels that way and extra tuners for network shows... Worth the $12.95 Tivo fee :)

The THR essentially is an HR10-250 that can get all the HD in MPEG4 and On Demand... Other than that, I don't remember anything new with it from back when I had my 250.

All the 'extra' Tivo features are not present on the D* box. Technically it is a 'Series 3' but is completely locked down just like the old D* series 2s were... Since I do have the Premiere, that's what I use for Netflix, Pandora etc...

It's really a shame... I keep hoping D* will release a Series 4 or Roamio version, but that's just a dream (hey I can dream :) ... I had to wait years for this one, and every indication is that it is an orphan box... It took something like 8 months for a software update to fix On Demand after it got bricked one day for everyone.

The only indication that D* even cares is that they run plenty of promos for the box--but their website then hints in every way that it is crippled, has an extra fee, and is inferior to the Genie in every way. I think the promos are simply a legal requirement that they promo Tivo a certain amount as part of their contract to service the old Series 2s and could really care less about this box.

That said, I have 3 of them (the $5 fee is good for the entire account)... If I didn't have the free cable and the Premiere, I'd be a lot more angry--but the THR is a reliable DVR, is familiar, and does what I want for the additional TVs.

3. ccchuck

ccchuck New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    As a followup, I found I had to install Tivo Desktop to my computer, and for Tivo Desktop to "see" my NAS had to assign it a volume letter (not the best of form), but it works - maybe a little better, or not, than media share on my genie.