1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jpcamaro70, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm getting rid of an HR-22 for the tivo HHR?? whatever it is, can't hook it up for some reason so they are sending an installer.

Some questions:

Will the tivo be faster than the Hr22-100 as far as the guide and recordings? That's really my goal here. I would have stayed on the whole home if the rep could guarantee me an HR25 but she couldn't.

Other than whole home and 3d, what will i be missing with the tivo powered unit?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    THR22 is the model. You will also miss Video On Demand - DirecTV claims it is supported, but it doesn't work. The HR22 search feature is better too. You will probably find it snappier than the HR22 even though the hardware is the same. You'll gain the ability to undelete shows.

3. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 New Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I was playing with it for just a few minutes today but i couldn't get VOD to work. I love the UI as i am a Tivo fan but it's really totally different than the tivo i'm used to.

I'm not sure if i want to keep it or send it back. I don't see much of a benefit over the HR22, even the guide isn't as good as the series 4.

4. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    VOD works on my THR22.

What I found is that it's incredibly sensitive to the quality of the network connection. So much so in fact that I could never get it working over WiFi. (even forcing lower MTU's etc)

However, with a direct wired Ethernet connection it does work, although it can still drop the download if the internet connection drops for a second. (i.e. It does not recover from errors well)

5. Wil

Wil Senile Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Is that a recent development? I've temporarily shut off my DirecTV service but for the time we used the DirecTivo THR22 the VOD worked fine.

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have never been able to make VOD on the THR22 work, and this is a common complaint over at dbstalk. It appears to work, but when one attempts to start a download, it always fails.

7. ragmopp

ragmopp New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    It did for me, but now it works fine.

8. KRB

KRB New Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I have a model THR22-100 through Direct TV.
    "Direct TV enhance programing" keeps knocking off programs I'm watching.
    When this happens it askes if I want to stop recording, I reply "Yes and the enhanced program goes away but knocks me off thje channel I was watching.
    Direct TV told me that it's a Tivo issue
    How can I block or opt-ouy of this very disruptive program?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    As far as I know, you can't. But what you can do, if you are watching live, is press Record. This will prevent it from bumping you out. You'll have to do this if the show changes.

10. KRB

KRB New Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Thank You for your reply
    My Tivo has a live tv button and I use it to toggle between to channels. When the Direct tv programming takes over one channel I press stop recording, it goes away and the changes that channel I was watching so that both tuners are now on the same channel?
    Is this the way it's supposed to work?
    Thanks

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

have you ever activated directv double play to buffer both tuners? you would have to enable it every time you watched dtv to solve your issue, but it's the closest dtv has to tivo's "live tv" button:

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The THR22 doesn't use the DoublePlay feature, it has the usual TiVo system.