1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Tivo worth keeping?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lillevig, Jun 8, 2012.

1. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Going to be moving my father-in-law from California to live with us in Texas. He has a DirecTV Tivo (not sure what model yet) that he got probably 10 years ago. We have cable and regular Tivos so I was wondering if it is even worth it to bring his DVR back with us. I suspect that it won't work on anything except DirecTV but are there some parts worth scavenging?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Not really, unless you have a use for old, small IDE disks. The power supply might be useful to some.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Ok, got the Tivo and it is a model R10. Opened it up and it looks to be very similar to a standalnoe Tivo S2 TCD240 model except for the DirecTV add-ons. Can anyone confirm that the power supply in the R10 is a match for the TCD240? I'm thinking that the power supply and the hard drive are salavagable and the rest goes to the recycling center.

4. phudson126

phudson126 New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    That’s right. The power supply and hard drives will be of some use in the future while the other parts can be sent to recycling center. However it would be better if you can stick to the accessories that come in the box instead of using older ones.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Why don't you see if anybody on TCF wants it as is enough to pay shipping before you dismantle it?

That't only a 40GB hard drive, and you can probably find a broken 240 free somewhere and replace the bad cap that broke it and have a working 240/540 power supply.