1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV options?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jar-head, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jar-head

jar-head New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    I have DirecTV now and want to keep it. Used to LOVE Tivo but kept DirecTV because of NFL Sunday Ticket and moved to their DTV DVRs (like the Genie). I lately noticed that DirecTV offers HD Tivos again. Am I better offer sticking with the Genie or moving over to the new Tivo offerings?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My opinion, having both, is that the Genie is better overall. The THR22 is ok if you are really a fan of the TiVo UI to the extent that you're willing to pay $5/mo extra and lose features. If you're used to the DirecTV UI, stick with it.

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
  4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    I agree with the above. I had a THR22 for 2.5 years and unplugged it in favor of a Genie a year ago and haven't looked back!

Apart from the familiar interface and the guide (which I still prefer), I could find nothing to give a glowing report about the TiVo-driven box - and that was without having to pay extra for it!

Just last night, I tried to change channel on my Genie and it was recording FIVE different channels! This is only the second time it's happened, but I now have a total of seven tuners available (Genie = 5 and HR22 = another 2) and with Whole Home, can watch anything in either box.

5. DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    I got the Genie last fall, and very satisfied with it.