1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV HD Tivo DVR Phone Line

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by sdaniel105, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1 of 13
    sdaniel105

sdaniel105 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I just tried upgrading to the new HD Tivo from DirecTV. They told me I had to have a phone line. I questioned if I could take it to a phone line for the initial setup. Again multiple people said it had to have one to continue to get local channels.

They said it did not until a couple weeks ago when an upgrade came down and now every couple weeks it needs to make a call or else it shuts down your local channels.

Anyone know if this is definitely true or could I take to parents do the call thru the phone line and bring back and just have the nagging message, but it would work fine????

2. Jun 8, 2012 #2 of 13
    billux

billux New Member

Feb 28, 2012
    don't know, We have ours running off of a trendnet wireless bridge, think it's the 640. 4 ports and works great. Never hooked it up to a phone.

3. Jun 8, 2012 #3 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG] (click on picture to go to DirecTV Tivo page.)
    Specifications

Dimensions
    Width: 15.25 in, Height: 2.8 in, Depth: 11.8 in, Weight: 8 lbs
    Audio Outputs
    1 Digital Optical, 1 Digital (coaxial), 2 Stereo (L/R, RCA)
    Video Outputs
    1 S-Video, 1 HDMI 1 Component (YPbPr), 2 Composite (RCA)
    Other
    2 Satellite In, 1 Internal RF antenna, 2 USB, 2 Ethernet, 1 eSATA port, 1 Phone

It looks like you can connect to your network instead of a phone.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #4 of 13
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No phone line is needed, as long as it has a network connection.

5. Jun 9, 2012 #5 of 13
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Is it a wired or a wireless network connection? (or does it matter)?

6. Jun 9, 2012 #6 of 13
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Doesn't matter. The box itself has an Ethernet port. You can get the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit for wireless, or use a commercially available wireless bridge adapter (sometimes called a "game adapter").

7. Jun 9, 2012 #7 of 13
    billux

billux New Member

Feb 28, 2012
    There is no wireless connection inherent in the box. Also there is no wireless adapter that I know of. You can get the DirecTV wireless connection kit or buy a wireless bridge/ game adapter. I use the trend net 640 and it works great for me. It has 4 ports if you want to hook up another device as well. The trend net is 55 or so dollars and the amazon link is below. We've had zero problems with this set up. I did have an older wireless bridge that would choke on HD downloads but handled standard def and data calls fine. I would definitely recommend the network over the phone for the speed and added show download capabilities. You pretty much need to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the box if you want it networked though.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wire...I3DA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339282177&sr=8-1

8. sdaniel105

sdaniel105 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Installers stated that an update came down about 3 weeks ago and since then they have been pulling out all the Tivo HD DVRs.

No one has been experiencing any problems over the past couple weeks when connected thru the network?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My THR22 has no problems with network connections.

10. sdaniel105

sdaniel105 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Any problems with the stuttering or locking up that some have mentioned?

I have the Network connection kit. They ran the signal in thru the satellite coax. It has a RJ45 connection.

I guess I will have to fight with DirecTV to get the Tivo back now since they don't know what they are talking about.

Sean

11. billux

billux New Member

Feb 28, 2012
    No stuttering or any issues for me. The one issue I did have was with downloading HD movies and that was due to the old wireless bridge locking up.

12. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I am having severe stuttering and freezing issues. DirecTV had my box upload some diagnostic data for analysis.

13. oaklandsberg

oaklandsberg New Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I just had mine installed yesterday, but it's not making a successful phone call. I have a phone chord running from the TiVo to a functioning jack.

Anyone know why it won't call? The error message says something about how TiVo tries to first download information from other DVRs in the house and to make sure they are functioning. The other DVRs I have are DTV units, not TiVos. They do appear to be working.

Would love any suggestions here.