1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directv Genie w/Client vs Tivo w/Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jborchelt, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jborchelt

jborchelt New Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I currently own the Genie/Client setup. I can play a recording or schedule a recording from the Client. They are connected via the house RG59 coax that was installed when the house was built 1977. The setup works great. Is the Tivo/Mini the identical setup/function. It appears to be but I can't tell for sure after reviewing all the specs.

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Basically yes. I don't have a Genie/Client, I'm waiting for the 44 to be available in my area to upgrade. But I have a Roamio/Mini setup, and it works as you describe it.

3. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Thats good to know that you can set up a recording with the minis ,I just assumed you could only set up a recording from the main box. Now i might go to directv ,and try the genie system ,I love tivo and verizon but i cant afford to buy another tivo and spend another $1000.00 or so for the roamio plus and mini with lifetime. If the genie dont work out ,then i would come back to fios ,maybe by then i could save the money to try the roamio or whatever new box tivo has . I need to make up my mind real soon.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One exception....

The basic Roamio unit does not have MoCa built in. MoCa is what allows them to communicate via coax. So if you want the basic Roamio you'll need to buy an extra MoCa adapter to allow the Mini(s) to communicate with the Roamio via coax.

If you get the Plus or Pro Roamio then it does have MoCa built in and will work exactly as you describe.

5. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    One reminder. The Roamio Plus/Pro set up is cable only (Basic can do OTA). So you would be switching providers to use it.